1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best funk/slap pups for jazz bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jimmyb, Jul 9, 2005.

1. jimmyb

jimmyb An Avid Indoorsman Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Elkton, MD
    building my own bass, a project I always wanted to do. Just bought a sweet j body (maple over alder) looking to create a funk monster. seems I remember a thread some years back on this sight that was a huge j-pup comparision, can't find it now. so anyone, any suggestions?
    JB

2. Depends what you're looking for in a funk/slap tone. EMG's sound great, with a modern feel - think Les Claypool on his Jazz, very bright and punchy. You might prefer some more vintage sounding pickups, however - maybe some Dimarzio Ultra J or Seymour Duncan Antiquities. Both have thick tones that are more "vintage" sounding.

3. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    I have a pair of Ultra Jazzes in one Jazz, and a pair of Razor (from Allparts) Hot Jazzes in the other Jazz. Both are of the same wood / neck combo (Ash body, maple neck, with "70's" bridge pickup route).

The Ultra Jazz is definitely my choice when it comes to a more sculpted, Marcus or Mezzoforte kind of tone, but I find that the Razors work a lot better in a live situation and require less EQ-ing. The mids and high-mids especially on the Razor are more prominent, such that while they may sound a tad obnoxious played alone, they compliment and carry the tone better in a band situation.

I have previously tried EMGs, 1/4pounders, Hot Jazz and Fralins and I think these current setups are the ones for me. I've also tried a friend's 78 Jazz which has Antiquity IIs and really liked them too, but they were almost twice the price of my pickups. If you record a lot, you'll like the quietness and versatility of the Ultra Jazzes, but the Razors are the ones I've liked most for live pickups I've tried thus far. Just gotta watch that hum.