Best funk/slap pups for jazz bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jimmyb, Jul 9, 2005.

1. jimmyb

jimmyb Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Elkton, MD
    building my own bass, a project I always wanted to do. Just bought a sweet j body (maple over alder) looking to create a funk monster. seems I remember a thread some years back on this sight that was a huge j-pup comparision, can't find it now. so anyone, any suggestions?
  2. Depends what you're looking for in a funk/slap tone. EMG's sound great, with a modern feel - think Les Claypool on his Jazz, very bright and punchy. You might prefer some more vintage sounding pickups, however - maybe some Dimarzio Ultra J or Seymour Duncan Antiquities. Both have thick tones that are more "vintage" sounding.
  3. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    I have a pair of Ultra Jazzes in one Jazz, and a pair of Razor (from Allparts) Hot Jazzes in the other Jazz. Both are of the same wood / neck combo (Ash body, maple neck, with "70's" bridge pickup route).

The Ultra Jazz is definitely my choice when it comes to a more sculpted, Marcus or Mezzoforte kind of tone, but I find that the Razors work a lot better in a live situation and require less EQ-ing. The mids and high-mids especially on the Razor are more prominent, such that while they may sound a tad obnoxious played alone, they compliment and carry the tone better in a band situation.

I have previously tried EMGs, 1/4pounders, Hot Jazz and Fralins and I think these current setups are the ones for me. I've also tried a friend's 78 Jazz which has Antiquity IIs and really liked them too, but they were almost twice the price of my pickups. If you record a lot, you'll like the quietness and versatility of the Ultra Jazzes, but the Razors are the ones I've liked most for live pickups I've tried thus far. Just gotta watch that hum.