1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Fuzz for Active bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheMaynorD, Feb 7, 2017.

1. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    So I know there are a plethora of "best fuzz" threads on here but many of the recommendations stipulated that the fuzzes did not work well with active basses. So since I use the EBMM bongos which are VERY active, I'd like some feedback on what the TB community has found to be a successful fuzz pedal with active basses.

My fuzz preferences: Good low end, with a smoother, woolier fuzz; I use my Darkglass B3k OD for modern grit so the fuzz would be for more vintage or, dare I say, fuzzy bass tones reminiscent of stoner rock or old school 70's. I also may use it in combo with my Envelope filter for some Fuzzwah funkiness. I don't want to spend $250 on a fuzz since I don't use it all the time, but I'm willing to throw $100 to $190 at the right pedal. Thanks much.

Driven Crane likes this.
  2. 96Brigadier

96Brigadier Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    I have two Bongos, an HS and an HH, but not enough experience with fuzz to know the differences between different fuzz pedals (i.e. I couldn't tell you what smoother, woolier fuzz sounds like). That being said, I was just playing both my Bongo HH and Fender Jazz through my new Team Awesome Fuzz Machine and to my ear it sounds equally awesome with both basses. The TAFM handles the Bongo just fine as far as I'm concerned.

Granted it is out of your price range but I believe my COG Rogue One is at the post office (but not available for pickup till tomorrow) so tomorrow night I will hopefully have had a chance to try it with my Bongos as well.

3. Inconnu

Inconnu

Nov 1, 2005
    My bass-ment
    I use a G&L L-2500... Very active. The EHX Bass Big muff works well at lower settings. Chances are the deluxe version with it's -15 dB switch works even better. Worth to try...

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I use nothing but active Rocoes and Spectors. The Source Audio Aftershock has worked better than anything I've tried, with honorable mention to just about any good Big Muff clone (NOT an EHX in other words). So Grey Stache, Stomp Under Foot, Muffuletta, Box of War, Tall Font Russian...etc. Had them all. All were fantastic. But now have the Aftershock.

5. tprestonbass

tprestonbass Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Agreed, I've tried the deluxe BBM pi with an active bass and the pad really did make it easy to work with.

6. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Ive heard.good things about the grey stache and the aftershock as well as the TAFM. Ive been trying to find a used TAFM but they understandably sell quickly. Keep the suggestions coming folks Ive got a desk job and plenty of multitasking to do while browsing youtube for bass demos.

7. tprestonbass

tprestonbass Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Your job sounds a lot like mine!

Have you considered a 3leaf You're Doom? I love mine.

8. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Another vote for the TAFM. I primarily play an active Lakland, an EBMM Sterling and an old passive G&L SB2. All sound fantastic through that versatile fuzz. Plays well with an envelope filter, too.

jakka1 likes this.
  9. jakka1

jakka1 Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Pittsburg, Kansas
    TAFM here as well. I play Stingrays & sterlings.

10. Can't vouch for the tarkin personally but I know COG plays well with actives. Damnation audio mbd1 may not be classic fuzz territory but almost? That definitely works. And as stated aftershock is probably the happiest pedal to work with any bass and has so many options..

11. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    +1 on the Aftershock, i sometime play my MM Big Al (2x 9V hot output) and some fuzz presets shine with this bass ... and when i close my eyes it does not even sound digital ;-)

12. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Really digging the COG tarkin sounds. Plus it's in an adorable little 1590A enclosure. Seems like a pretty versatile pedal. Anyone have an opinion on the little tarkin versus the grand tarkin?

theunknowndude likes this.
  13. tsheldon

tsheldon

Jun 20, 2005
    Western New York
    Fuzz pedals all have a baked in sound so it's hard to recommend one and be confident that you'll like it. The Z.Vex Mastotron is my current favorite and is pretty affordable. I also have an Iron Ether "Oxide" and a 3Leaf "You're Doom" that are also good with active basses.

ukedealer and neuman like this.
  14. I've almost always played active basses exclusively, including an EBMM Sterling. The TAFM has consistently been fantastic. The Cog Tarkin is another excellent choice. Consider the Broughton Sunder and the Wounded Paw Attack Goat as well, both also do fantastic with active basses.

96Brigadier likes this.
  15. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    The new Russian Pickle is pretty awesome with active basses. Great low end, smooth, does vintage type fuzz to a little more modern. I really like it. OR the DOD Carcosa is a really versatile fuzz that can do a lot from splatty gated fuzz to muff type fuzz to light, big sounding drive. Really like that one too.

16. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Anyone have any luck with the red witch fuzz god II? There's one up in classifieds for a really good price....

17. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I have this one and like it.

18. All my basses are active. I had a deluxe bass big muff at one point. I now use a darkglass duality and feel it was a huge step up. I think the filter control in particular makes it great for active basses. Here's my favorite setting. IMG_1829.JPG This setting works great for my hard rock band. the other nice thing about the duality is it's two fuzz pedals in one(a modern high gain fuzz and a almost synthy gated fuzz and you can blend the two fuzz circuits together along with blending them with your clean tone. Again I think the filter control in particular really makes it a great fuzz for folks who play active basses. It works like a low pass filter and allows you to dial out harsh high frequencies. With a p bass for example they sound good with a lot of different fuzz pedals because they don't have much going on in the high requencies. Active basses especially with j or H pickups have a lot more high frequency content which can be really harsh with fuzz pedals. The filter fixes that issue.

19. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Melbourne, FL.
    Brassmaster circuits tend to play nice with actives due to the blend.

knumbskull likes this.
  20. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    id say peach fuzz