best FUZZ + OCTAVE UP unit?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Feb 26, 2006.

1. I'm looking for a decent Fuzz + Octave Up pedal.

What are your favourites and why??

Does anyone have experience with the danelectro french toast. It is really cheap, so I have a eye on it.

2. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    The first thing i thought of when I saw the subject line was the Zvex johnny octave. Check out their site, it's pretty cool.
  3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
  4. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Homebrew Electronics U.F.O, Voodoo Lab Proctavia and Foxx Tone Machine are the three I would consider. All cost way more than the French Toast, though. Also, you may have to use a Loooper with Blend function to retain your lows. I don't know of any bass-specific Octave Fuzz pedals.......maybe the Black Cat? Good luck.
  5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
  6. The fOXX sounds a lot like a Woolly Mammoth to me and the octave switch is to die for
  7. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    There is the option, if you like processing, to use a Pod or Pod XT Live..... the distortion and octave settings are easily flexible enough to get what you're looking for. That way, your purchase can do more than just one job, and the Pods are generally quieter noise-wise than stomp boxes are. Not always, but generally.
  8. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
  9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well - if you're going that rout, then don't forget the Boss twin-pedal distortion (is it the 'DD-20'?). It has an 'octavia' type of setting too! I tried it with bass, and it sounded quite cool, but like ALL (as far as I know so-far) up-octave pedals on bass, the octaved note takes some amount of time to swell-up; like a fraction of a second, to maybe a full-second.

I've been studying this subject a bit, from an engineering perspective, and I think the deal-is that there has to be low-cut filtering in part of the circuit to remove subsonic artifacts form the processed signal, and the lower of a note you try to put through them, the more this filter starts messing with things - that would be why when a guitarist is playing way-high-up with one, it sounds like an instant and pure octave-up, but the lower you go, the more delay - and the less 'pure' the octave.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Either of the readily available Brassmaster clones: PE Depth Charge or Black Cat BOF. Both have a musical upper octave with a clean blend.
  11. anyone have experience w/ the dunlop jimi hendrix octave fuzz? I know it sounds great on guitar, but what about bass?
  12. A great one to check out would be the Studio Electronics Wolftone Helium pedal. On a related note I would also check out their Wolftone Chaos pedal which I swear by, although it doesn't really octave divide but it messes with the overtones quite dynamicly.
  13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
  14. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
  15. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    The OD-20s octave effect is down only, I believe.
  16. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I got the chance to play around with a Homebrew U.F.O. last week. I thought it was really cool. Nice octave and nasty fuzz. It wasn't as noisy as the Voodoo Lab Superfuzz I tried, and it seemed to have a greater range of tones. Tracking on the octave side was good. I can't really comment on low end retention, though. I was only able to play through a 1x10 combo at moderate volume. It did pretty well through that setup.
  17. lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I actually had one of the originals but lost it. I hear they can fetch $1000 nowdays. :(
  18. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah - I had a Meastro Bass Brassmaster, and gave it away in about '82.

19. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Nope. I played with one for quite a while.

The OD-20 offers an octave divider effect (a not-polyphonic DOWN-octave) at all times - like along-with any of the 'Type' settings - but the last, eleventh type is "FACE", and the 'variation' on that (yes: it offers twenty-two different basic distortion 'models' in-all, with six parameters adjustable on each of those!) is "OCT FUZZ", which offers the Octavia-style up-octave. ..So actually, you can run both the octave-down and the octave-up effects at the same time.

(Why would I have come-up with that big 'user report' style explanation post, talking all-about the manner inwhich the upper octave swells-up out of the signal... if it didn't even HAVE it?)