Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best G&L bass for rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Oct 9, 2002.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    In the TB family opinion, what model G&L 4-string is best for loud rock?

2. L2000 is the ultimate for pretty much any style...

outoftune likes this.
  3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I agree, the L-2000 will cover a lot of ground.

4. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    +1 on the L2000.
    Mine covers pretty much every style.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    ummm...L-1000 over here. I really like the simplicity factor. 'Course I don't need all that many tones. It's all about the punch and the bottom to me!

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    L-2000

I play an L-2500 in my band, and it is great for heavy rock of all types. Im actually looking at the L-2000 since I dont use the B too often and I feel like the wider spacing and slimmer neck might be better for the way I play now.

Peace
    Nick

7. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    What are the major differences between the L-1000 and the L-2000?

8. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    the L1000 has 1 pickup the L2000 has 2

Another vote here for the L2000. It is a very punchy bass that is very versatile soundwise for almost any style of music

9. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

All of 'em?

L2000/2500 (MFD dual humbuckers) - great versatility, unparalleled depth (in series mode), punch & growl for days

SB-2 (MFD P-J) - simplicity (passive but still as much output as many active basses), more evenness & clarity than L2000, great growly P-like rock sound

Climax/L-1500/L-1505 (single MFD humbucker - "Stingray" sweetspot) - "tear your head off" aggressive, more punch & snarl than the L2000

Those are the ones I'm familiar with. The L-1000 is good (single MFD humbucker in the P-position, like a passive L-2000 without the bridge pickup) as is the JB-2 (J pickups). There are other discontinued models like the SB-1 (MFD P pickup or single-coil like an original Precision depending on age), El Toro & Interceptor (dual narrow MFD humbuckers), first generation SB-2 & Lynx (dual MFD J pickups), L-5000 (5-string MFD split-coil pickup), L-5500 (5-string dual EMGs). And I almost forgot the ASAT (dual MFD humbuckers) and ASAT semi-hollow (dual MFDs in a semi-hollow body).

MFD pickups are Leo's design at G&L. They are very hot (high output) with lots of bass and highs so they can be connected to passive treble and bass cut controls for eq (they don't need any boost). That way the eq works in both active and passive mode.

So there are a lot of G&L basses, all good. What kind of sound are you looking for?

All that being said, I don't think you can go wrong with an L2000.

10. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=912144239

Check it out...how can you go wrong?? I love G&L basses...for the money you can't get a nicer bass. You may want to consider a maple fretboard though, really helps cut through. I just pulled out my SB2 last night and even compared to my Warwick Stage II, man the G&L SB2 is a beautiful piece of bass. You can get a precision style or a jazz syle neck on the G&L's so pick your weapon. The SB2 typically come with a jazz neck as do the Asat's. You can get it as an option on the others.

11. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Well I have heard that G&L basses are similar to Stingrays but with more tone options. I just got a 1995 MM Stingray 4 string w/maple fretboard and I LOVE it. It has really blown me away. I had no idea they were so sweet.

bassman blue: I saw that auction. That looks like a nice one.

Thanks for all the input guys.

12. craigb

Well if you've already got a Stingray you don't want a Climax/L-1500 (they are very similar to a 'Ray - not exactly the same but close enough that unless you want a second bass with similar underlying character you wouldn't need both of them).

I think an L-2000 would be a great complement to a 'Ray. They don't get exactly the same sounds - the L2000, in my opinion, gives P-like and J-like sounds with more beef. You can get a lot of aggressiveness out of an L2K but not quite the same sound as a Stingray (again in my opinion).

13. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Great, I think I'm going L-2000 shopping. I don't see many players with G&L. Why are they not more popular? Or am I just missing them?

14. Speaking of G&L, does anyone know anything about the six string bass that Leo Fender was working before he died? I haven't seen or heard very much about it... all I know is that it has humbuckers.

15. craigb

There are some people using them like:

Sara Lee - B52s, Indigo Girls
    Craig Montoya - Everclear
    Dave Pomeroy - Nashville session guy
    Cass - Skunk Anansie

and many others you can see on the G&L site. The L-1505 shows up in several country videos I've seen. The L-2000/ASAT/2500 dual HB seems like the most popular type with the L-1500/1505/Climax as the second most popular configuration.

I think they don't have the popularity of something like the Stingray because there hasn't been a popular "bass hero" to bring them into the common view like Flea did with the Stingray. I've heard that the Stingray was languishing in obscurity and pre-EB ones could still be had cheap before Flea and the RHCPs blew into the spotlight.

Fenders are ubiquitous although Jazz basses seem to be the big thing now. And again I've heard that for a while the jazz languished in "second class" status in the popular eye while the Precision was the big deal. Now it's reversed to where the Jazz is the big deal and has a ton of imitators while the Precision is much more in the background.

I think G&L has the same type of awareness and penetration as a brand like Modulus. One difference is that Modulus seems to go after some big visible names (Flea, Oteil) for endorsements/signature basses/marketing while G&L appears to be happy to chug along at their current level of visibility and production - cranking out quality, affordable, "handmade", US-made basses. If you try and order one now you won't see it for a while because my understanding is the factory is tied up with NAMM production for a while.

Also G&L does not have an import entry-level line. It may not need one (not too many beginners are out there saying "I want a G&L because my idol ?????? plays one" like they are with a Stingray/OLP or Fender/Squier).

16. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    So every G&L is handmade? Like if I were to go Ebaying they're all safe bets from that standpoint?

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I believe an L-2000 was used by Rob of STP for parts of their album, CORE.

The guy from Silverchair, who's name escapes me at the momment, has been playing L-2000's since their first album.

Peace
    Nick

18. craigb

Here's a quote from the G&L factory tour intro on their website:

They use power tools and templates and stuff like that (I'm not an expert on this) but no CNC machinery (like I believe Carvin does which allows great repeatability and very fine tolerances). My experience (~11 G&L basses so far) has been that they have all been well made. Many of those came from ebay and I haven't had a bad experience yet. It really comes down to how well the bass was taken care of before it got to you - it started out good from the factory but can have been trashed by previous owners.

19. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    my L2000 is a monster in versatility and a great rock'n roll bass!

great bass

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I dont think Ive even heard anything bad about G&L.

Peace
    Nick