1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best G String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Equalizer, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Equalizer

Equalizer

Jan 24, 2015
    Hello all

I'm on a mission to find a good, fat sounding G string.

I know they are the smallest string, but they just sound so odd to me.

What do you guys think? What in your experience is the best strings with a good G?

How are the Thomastik Jazz flars/Rounds, I heard something about their construction a while a go though I could be mistaken.

2. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I use a little EQ to get it to sound the way I want.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  3. Equalizer

Equalizer

Jan 24, 2015
    Like messing with the amps EQ settings?

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Victoria Secret

5. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    you'll need, in this order: good technique, good setup, good amp, good bass = good G string. imo/ime/ymmv

hsech and MickyD like this.
  6. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Sure, that should work.

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

You beat me to it by 28 minutes. Crap!

In any case, I don't find any particular string better or worse than another brand. I definately prefer one set over the other, but I would never mix a G string from one set with another unless I break a string on a gig or at rehersal and that is my only short time fix.

Zodion likes this.
  8. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    To be serious though
    I found that going up a size on the G helps a lot on my Jazz and Ray. It evens out the tone.

Short-scale and comatosedragon like this.
  9. I used to use the D'A Chromes flats 40-60-80-100. Then I've recently switched to the Fender 9050 flats 45-60-80-100. The 45G does seem to balance better with the 60D than the 40G.

I've also heard about people using a flatwound G to go with roundwound D-A-E to tame the excess zing on the G, although this is not something I've tried for myself.

Levin likes this.
  10. Equalizer

Equalizer

Jan 24, 2015
    Would going from a 45 to a 50 make a noticeable difference?

11. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Yes, that is what I did.

BBox Bass and PaperbackRyder like this.
  12. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Most of the users who find their G-Strings to be thin or twangy sounding seem to be playing Open G-String or fretting the first couple of frets. Most all G-Strings regardless of the construction sound twangy when played open. Instruments with "Zero Frets" help this but not completely.

I personally play like this and suggest this to others as well. Rather than playing Open G play the G on the 5th fret on the D-String. The lowest note I play on the G-string is the Bb (3rd frett) anything else is on the D-String when I can. This also makes for a more consistent sound.

When playing blues (standard 1 3 5 6 b7 line) I play it only across two strings, E-A and then A-D, this makes for a more consistent tone and more balanced dynamic. Same thing for the notes on the G-String... I play G through Bb on the D-String to avoid a twangy sounding G. This goes for playing Rounds, Flats, Tapes, Pressurewound or any other variety of strings I have on my instruments.

Long story short... It may not be the strings but how they are being played...

Camaro, iiipopes, Levin and 7 others like this.
  13. Equalizer

Equalizer

Jan 24, 2015
    Interesting! Will try to implement that into my technique.

14. Ballin'bass

Ballin'bass

Jun 16, 2014
    Madison, WI
    +1 on the eq technique. I had this problem tonight at a gig and corrected it by killing some treble on my bass and amp and boosting some lo mids slightly. This effected the whole tone of my bass but it did help the g. If you want to somehow bring the g up to the fatness of the rest of the string without changing how the other strings sound as well, you might have no other recourse than putting a different type of string on the g. A flat seems like it would do the trick... But then you will have a different response on that string all together. Might be kinda F-ed up.

My 0.02

15. Mostresticator

Mostresticator

Feb 25, 2015
    Rotosound Funkmasters

16. 148td

148td

Mar 29, 2015
    I was having the same issue. I am using a standard medium set of DR Sunbeams. so I replaced the .045 with an Ernie Ball Power Slinky .055. Now,the playing technique is most important but this change helped balance the output and did not affect the" playing feel" balance to me.

17. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Yep, this and switching to GHS Pressure wounds fattened up the G (and D) for me very noticeably. Lovin' it!

18. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    Consider going BEAD, depending on the style of music you can do away with the G altogether. Lately I've only been playing for churches and haven't missed the G at all.

19. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Get a Dingwall Super P or Super J. Having a 32" scale length G-string helps out in keeping the sound and feel balanced.

static0verdrive likes this.
  20. ChefKen

ChefKen Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    Rotosound.