1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Gallien Krueger Head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alexander, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I’ve been playing through a Backline 600 at a rehearsal studio and love the tone I’ve been getting. Although I’m more or less a tube amp guy, I’d like to get a lighter weight alternative and backup amp. Curious what the best sounding GK head might be. I had a Fusion 550 at one point and frankly didn’t like it. I’m thinking about maybe a 700RB-II or maybe a 1001RB-II (and don’t know the tonal differences between the two). Thoughts?

2. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    I played a 1001RB (not the II) for many, many years. Killer amp. Absolute work horse. In 15 years I had it serviced once because the input jack was a little loose.

540w through an 810 was more than enough.

3. The older 800rb looks LEGIT......but I've never played one. The 1001rb is great too, although ultimately was not a fit when I played one for a short time.

Mvilmany, NOVAX and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    The 1001RB gets my vote too. Bulletproof and great sounding.

5. I'd like a 800rb. It'd probably appeal to me more, but I'm not judging that on real world experience, so I hesitate to recommend it. That being said, I think GK is pretty solid all around. Just depends on your preference and needs.

Wisebass and NOVAX like this.
  6. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Those are probably the two that I'd recommend most highly, I've owned both. What cab(s) are you most likely to pair them with?

Al Kraft likes this.
  7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    700RB. I've had a couple of them and would again if I wanted to go back to a heavier, traditional amp (compared to most, though, they are pretty lightweight).

Al Kraft and Ekulati like this.
  8. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    People like Ferrari’s. I say the 458 is by far the best.

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Even a 400 is a monster

Reliable and yes not very heavy at all

10. bobomatic

bobomatic

Jan 15, 2018
    I mean... if you’re loving the sound of the BL600 why not get one? I don’t regret getting mine for a second. Sounds awesome, versatile, light, powerful as i can imagine needing thru a 4x10 vert stack... and it was cheap as dirt!

11. If you like the BL600, I'd go with a 700rb as a "step up".

12. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    1001RBii.

That's the ticket.

13. SteveBass5

SteveBass5 It all sounds the same, It's all one song! Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I had a 1000 rb back 15 years ago! My favorite gk head.

14. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Perhaps by modern standards, but I am saving up for a 365P Tre Posti, myself.

Jeff Bonny likes this.
  15. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    400RB best amp GK ever made IMO...

16. Love my RB1001 but it is not light weitht. I use a BL600 for rehearsal and it is much lighter then my 1001.

17. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    While I do not own this model currently (I've got MB's) I'm sort of partial to the current production 700 RB. That head is a great daily driver that combines a nice feature set, rock solid reliability, and enough power to do most everything from subtle jazz to serious rock. Its bigger powered siblings are fine too, but the 700 has just always seemed perfect for most everything I do.

FWIW, I think any head with the GK logo on it will have more than a few good reasons to be the right answer to the question depending on what your needs and tone/volume goals are. And to me that says a lot about the GK brand.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  18. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Any RB series is going to be awesome, but I personally settled on the 1001RB-II because of it's seemingly infinite power. Some like the 700RB-II because they can "hit the rails" with less volume, but I prefer an amp with a cleaner tone. Combined with my Ampeg cabs, it's a monster that can do it all.

19. Flea knows; 800RB

Attached Files:

BrentSimons, Operation Ivy and kpc like this.
  20. dannylectro

dannylectro

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I couldn’t agree more. I’ve used a 400RB for years.

JGbassman, gitfiddl and lundborg like this.