1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best gear purchase of the pandemic (...or even 2020)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cosmicevan, Aug 11, 2020.

1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    As I lament my pandemic GAS (and consider what’s next) I got to thinking...of the tons of stuff we all have been getting since this crazy year started...what’s the current favorite?

for me...it’s a synth (the ASM Hydrasynth) but from a pedal perspective such a tough choice but it’s gotta be the patchulator 8000 from bored brain or the Matrise from Pladask Elektrisk as these let me reorder things and I love experimenting w pedals on a tabletop. From an effects standpoint the Arcades from CooperFX.

what’s yours? Fuel my GAS!

JES, Rabidhamster, Milo's and 7 others like this.
  2. From a synth perspective - pigments 2 vst... from a pedal perspective... I don’t know as due to covid I’m still waiting on mine :(
    (Boss sy1, mini mastotron clone and digitech nautila)

3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Broughton Sunray by a country mile

although the LA-1a is pretty sweet too. And the #RIP - don’t let me forget the RIP

everyone needs a #RIP

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    TonyP-, NKBassman, mikewalker and 3 others like this.
  4. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    The pandemic brought my pedal addiction to new heights. I managed to purchase around 30-40 pedals from the beginning of March. Around half of them were flipped while 15 stayed on my board. Anyways, here’s my top 3:

1. Filter FX Loop
    2. LA-1A
    3. Super Stack / PDR

31HZ, Zbysek, kesslari and 4 others like this.
  5. Ashdown OriginAL preamp. Just in love with it

BOOG and cosmicevan like this.
  6. Ok I feel better now. I thought my pedal buying was getting out of hand but I have only bought 8 since this all started...

I am feeling the pedal with the biggest impact has got to be the

Wounded Paw Blender V4.

That has changed the game me in a very positive way and helps the creativity to flow so much more freely than before. Amazing pedal.

cosmicevan likes this.
  7. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I’ve never bought so much gear in so short a time as since the pandemic began, but my top purchase on the effects front would be my MONO pedalboard/Club Accessory Case.

TonyP-, Killing Floor and cosmicevan like this.
  8. Frodolicious

Frodolicious

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    About a week before places in the US began closing things up in March, I had gotten a custom G&L fretless bass, which made me super nervous at the time!! It is so much fun to play!

Besides that, the regular EHX Superego has been really fun as well. Great combo with the fretless as well

cosmicevan and Jakeman like this.
  9. my Mesa Boogie Bass 400+!!! TheBeast.jpg

10. Jakeman

Jakeman Soundman's Nightmare Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Best thing this year was finding out about Broughton. Synth Voice, PLL, Bass Box, JoshWah... I'm impressed.
    Other stuff - looking forward to DUBTERRANEA.

11. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    Bought Genzler BA 15-3 SLT to go with my Mesa D800+. Best 15 I have ever heard. Deep, tight, smooth mids and highs. B7C53F5B-EB68-4FBF-B311-F62D95B58C62.jpeg

12. No doubt the Avalon U5 I traded a Yamaha bass for right here on TalkBass!
    It has updated my bass recording path by a quantum leap.

See it shows GAS is more powerful than the corona virus!
    Dirk

13. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    DG B7K Ultra & Warwick Thumb NT

14. RayWithFlats

RayWithFlats

Mar 22, 2020
    on the 1
    Best gear purchase = TC Spark (4-knob version)

Best gear acquisition overall = a Vox Repeat Percussion clone that guitarist got me for my birthday (cheers dude!)

I know the Spark will become more and more useful as I find more tones in there, but right now it’s all about the Vox clone making those choppy Spacemen 3 drones.

DogsNbeer, cosmicevan and egarcia like this.
  15. JRA, mikewalker and cosmicevan like this.
  16. Tall-Fir

Tall-Fir Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2016
    I had time to put a new tortoise shell pickguard on my G&L LB-100! I had gassed for one for quite a long time. I replaced a black one. I ordered it specially made by sending the original black one tp Pickguard Planet. I think they did a good job! 578D7DD6-E884-4326-9F50-97F6F28F9C04.jpeg

17. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    Ampeg SVT-810E

18. Peaveylover

Peaveylover Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2019
    I bought one pedal way back in March, but I've been using the so-called Pandemic to get in touch with myself spiritually and I realized that most possessions bog us down and are unnecessary. I've used that energy into learning new skills away from music. Has been one of the best things for me. Now I have a drawerful of pedals I am not using. That was another thing that happened during this so-called pandemic....I realized I like my clean tone a lot more than anything.

19. jdaunt

jdaunt Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Flint
    Well, i went from playing straight into the amp at the beginning of this to now having a Source Audio AfterShock, C4, Mercury, EQ2 and the Neuro Hub, a MIDI Mongoose to switch for all those, a Darkglass Hyper Luminal, a Boss DD-3T and a TC Ditto. But i’d probably have to say my favorite new item is my Fender Player Fretless Jazz.

John B jr, Andre678 and cosmicevan like this.
  20. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Quite the opposite: having the time go completely through my gear and repair, adjust, and inventory for condition and upgrade/replacement later.

31HZ, Jason Hollar, teh-slb and 2 others like this.