Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Gig Ever / Band's First Gig --- Open Mic!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Jul 3, 2001.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    My new bands first night out was last night. We really blew the place away.

First of all, there is a Monday night open mic thing at a local bar. I usually go as the resident bass-whore. I end up playing for like 4 hours doing stuff I never did before with 7-8 different people (which is great training in itself if you ask me).

This place is accustomed to the usual: dudes with acoustics doing Dylanesque, three-piece blues show offs, young wannabe punks, a few talented soloists. You do about 5 tunes and split for beers.

My band has BASS, drums, guitar, singer, keys, trombone, trumpet. Plus, the keyboard player sings and adds another trumpet. We help set up to make sure we were first on stage, which was already pretty small for the 7 of us, and contained two video games along with all the needed gear.

I loaded the audience with co-workers and my wife's friends so about 1/2 (30?) were there just for us. We opened up with a SKA tune and moved to some older R&B/Funk, then some newer radio crap, and mixed it up. Personally I could have played better but I was really confined and had to lean over the amp to reach my mic. Overall, the band was never better though. The friendly crowd helped bigtime.

Anyway, the host wants us to do a few shows for him now, and the owner is also looking to book us.

I never thought it would go so well at an open mic night. We only scheduled it as an ice breaker to bust our cherries. I won't knock an open mic deal again.

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    The night was a big success all around. Now we have several bookings there and in bigger rooms. Very happy, since I haven't gigged since 1990.

3. Way to go Zulu! Open mic nights are a good thing if you are looking to get out gigging. The owners don't expect anything of you, so you're free to do what you want. Pressure is very low. Everyone learns to get over whatever issues they may have concerning playing in front of a crowd. It really helped me and my guys. We just found some place in the middle of the local music scene to play for open mic night. Played there about a month, and one of the big local bands happened to slide in the door while we were halfway through the set. I just leaned over during the break between the song and told the guys (Hey, King Me just showed up, Don't suck eh?) So wound up sayin hi to the guys, and wound up getting a short opening gig the next week. Been great since.

Open mic nights are fun, and good for you.