Best gig ever - I played with Yes!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rob W, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Just a lesson to you younger players out there - it pays to learn to read music well!

As some of you know, apart from playing electric bass I spend a lot of my time as an orchestral bass player. Last night I did a gig that was certainly a high point in my carreer so far - I played in the orchestra as part of the current Yes Symphonic tour at their stop in Toronto. It was an incredible time, especially considering they are my favourite band (tied with Jethro Tull). I was so hoping that I would get this gig when I first heard about it and I was stunned when I actually did get called for it.

I was really surprised at some of the really major works they did with the orchestra - Close to the Edge, Gates of Delerium and Ritual (from Tales from Topographic Oceans). There were a few other classics as well as 2 new ones from the soon to be released new album.

Man, to look over and be grooving with Chris Squire and sharing his frequency space was incredible. It was also fantastic to play with Alan White all night - what an amazing drummer!

I got an extra thrill when I arrived in the afternoon for the rehearsal - I was talking with Chris' bass tech and I asked if he thought it'd be okay for me to take a picture of the legendary Ric. He did me one better by letting me strap it on and play it while he took a shot of me in front of Alan's drum kit! That was really something to actually hold and playTHE Chris Squire Ric! Still actually playing with the band was the greatest thrill.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my excitement a bit if you don't mind. :)
  2. awesome my friend, you must be very talented yourself, best of luck in the future.
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    You gotta post that pic!!!!
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My sentiments exactly!!!
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Really impressive!!! :cool:

And you got to fondle "the" fabled Rick!

Speaking of fondling, do orchestra guys get groupies at rock concerts? ;)
  6. Congratulations Rob! Can't blame you for being thrilled - I was, just reading about it.
  7. TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    The stuff dreams are made of.!

8. memphissound

Jul 30, 2001
    "Leave It" with an orchestra would be sweet.
    Did you get to play on that one?

Peace <><

BTW: Congratulations. I know it had to be fun.
  9. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Were you in the pit with Bill Boyd?
  10. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Playing with Chris Squire and holding the legendary Ric. That must have been orgasmic. No, seriously, that must have kicked some serious ass.
  11. Thanks for the support guys. I'll post the pic when I get it developed and scanned - it may be a little while though.

I can tell you some more details later if you like, but I hav eto go out again for the evening.

BTW - there was no "Leave It" or any other Trevor Rabin stuff. That's strictly forbidden around Steve Howe! :D
  12. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
  13. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Cool!!!!! what do you think???
    Mozart also had some groupies!!!! :D
  14. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    sweet gig man!!!! congrats. i cant wait to see that pic!
  15. I wouldn't know about today, but I know that Paganini and Liszt sure got around with the ladies. I mean, damn.
  16. gluified

Aug 11, 2001

yes are the greatest.

oh my god.

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations, Rob! What a cool thing to be able to put on your resume!:)
  18. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Congratulations Rob! That certainly says a lot about your talent to be called for that gig. Chris Squire has been an enormous influence on me. To share the stage with those guys.... I'm speechless...