Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best gig-worthy combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fourbin, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Fourbin

Fourbin

Feb 11, 2003
    I'm going off to school next year and won't be able to bring my 4x10/1x15/rack rig with me. I'm looking for a combo that I will be able to play in an apartment setting but also take with me to play gigs with guitar/keys/drums. I dig the Eden Metro but way to heavy and expensive for my taste...

You guys have any suggestions? I'm playing a Modulus Quantum 5...
    Thanks!

2. if you like a Cheaper (as in not as expensive as the eden metro)

i love my SWR workingman 15...been giggin with it for years now and it's never failed me once...great combo

3. Fourbin

Fourbin

Feb 11, 2003
    I'm interested in anything under $800. It can be used too.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, used SWR Super Redhead.

5. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    The Fender Bassman 400 2x10 combo is very nice and around 700-750 used.

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Eden Nemesis line. Most reliable amp I've had.

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1 or a used G-K 1001RB 2-10" combo.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

I gigged one of these for 5 years and it was a great gigging amp, probably one of the best/inexpensive/light/solidly built combos you can get IMHO.

It was so much more reliable than my SWR Bass 350. Plus, if you need more power in a stage setting, use the DI to the board and the 15 for your bassmix monitor.

Mine was from when they first came out (December '94 #1606) and the cat that I sold it to, is currently using it atleast once a day in his rehearsal studio, still sounds fine.

9. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

have you checked out the Carvin RC210 ?? great sounding combo { new } for about $ 800.00 ...Bass Player gave it a really good review in the
    January 2001 issue.
    i'm sure you could find a used one on *Bay ...

i've been using mine since 2000 , and haven't had any real problems
    with it . weight might be a consideration though , at around 81lbs. .

very full sound for fingerstyle ,and you can run it bridged mode { by adding another cabinet later} and get 600 watts mono... :cool:

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The Metro is the best from my experience.

Since it is out of your $$ range, your best bet is a Nemesis from Eden. You can pick up the 210 combo for $400 or so.

-Mike

11. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I second this suggestion!! :bassist:

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If I were you I wouldn't limit myself to a combo. You could pick up a 2x10 cab and use it with your current rack. IME, combos don't really save space, and can be a pain in the butt to move because you can't divide the load into multiple pieces.

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    When I used the RC210 it did save space, I actually turned it on its side, then used it as a stand for my pa rack.

On smaller stages, it can be useful.

I really liked my Carvin RC210. I gigged with it alot until I changed over to an ampeg stack.

I like the Ampeg B 100-R more, and I have gigged with it. But the Carvin is way louder. Also, I have never tried Ampeg's 210 combo.