1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best gigging amp for $800 or less?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by billiam5billion, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Just like the title says, need suggestions for spending my tax refund. I gig regularly, small to medium gigs. Would prefer to buy new.

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Ampeg PF-350 + Avatar TB153. 350w into a mighty cab that can dish it out.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Type of music?
    Tone you're going for?
    Preference on combo or separates?
    Preference on brand?

4. I purposely left this up for suggestions. No preference on brand or combo/stack. I need something that can do country, blues, rock, surf, punk, 60's garage, psychedelic, and a little bit of funk.
    I'd like something with clarity, punch, and plenty of headroom.

5. Hartke LH500 and VX410 cab. Should come in at about $800.

Plenty of headroom. Reliable. Versatile. Well reviewed. Tube preamp that can get a little dirty if you need it.

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Markbass LMIII or used LMII for a head
    Used cab(s) of choice, I'd look for Bag End S15D's. People are getting rid of them cheap these days, but they sound great. They are the smallest 15's I've seen, fairly light, and did I mention they just plain sound good?

If you wanted a combo, I'd have a look at the Markbass CMD 121P. It's a little over the budget, but it's very small and light, with the ability to add an extension cab in the future.

There is also the GK MB stuff. Sounds great, very light, inexpensive.

Guitar Center should have some Markbass, GK, and Ampeg stuff in stock to try our for yourself, let your ears be the judge. I've owned something from each and they all do their own thing...they all sound great too.

7. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    What's wrong with your mb115 combo? Not loud enough? Will it let you add a another cab?

8. The MB115 has been giving me trouble with sound guys around town. The DI jack is installed so that the release switch on the cable is butted up against the cabinet, so it's a pain to pull the cable. It's also been buzzing badly when plugged straight into the board. It's not clean enough at higher volumes either, which isn't an issue when running direct, but I have a monthly outdoor gig at a restaurant with no sound board or sound guy.

9. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Markbass Little Mark III head with Traveler 151P cab. Like me, but they're $600 apiece. But well worth it. Or the Ampeg PF500 + PF115HE cab.

10. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    I'll give my love for the GK700RBii. 450-ish watts at 4ohms. Also does 8 ohms. Ability to have one or two speaker cabinets. Regular 1/4 or Speakon options. Its sounds good with 410's or 115. Not tried it with other cabs yet. Not a class D head, but not too heavy either. I have not used the DI, as I have a DI pedal for that.

I gig with it in medium sized clubs with and with PA support and never have headroom issues.

Try before you buy! :bassist:

11. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Carvin has some good deals going on. BX500 & 410 cab would come in under budget.

12. Yeah, definitely going on a few test drives on my day off this week.

13. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    I got a Markbass CMD 102p for about $700 used - fantastic for sound and portability.

14. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    This amp sux bad

15. I wouldn't go that far. It's flawed like every amp, but it's awesome for very small gigs and practice. I would actually recommend the MB115 to beginners or coffeehouse players over Ampeg's BA series or anything from Crate or Peavey. I don't even plan on selling mine after buying a new one, I can't think of anything better for around-the-house jamming.