Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best GK prices period!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    check out riksmusic.com. they have the cheapest GK gear ive found anywhere as well as exceptional customer service! they have a killer deal on the neo 212 combo which will be mine!!!

2. thanks for the news flash, walter cronkite.

3. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    funny... :spit: just thought id share this place with fellow talk bassers. ive yet to find any GK dealer that comes close to these prices. ive seen RB 1001's go for 600 used...

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Don't take offense by it Aenema. I'm sure GetLow only responded that way because Riksmusic.com's low pricing on GK gear has been well known here on Talkbass for quite some time now (I remember posts discussing it dated well over a year ago).

- Ugly.

5. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    heh its all good im not takin offense. im a smart a$$ myself. :eyebrow: :D i was reading thru several threads about GK and only saw riks mentioned once. i myself had no idea until a week ago so im sure there are several others out there who arent aware of these deals. gotta spread the love. :smug:

6. We've known about Riks(now RMC music) for a while but I don't know if GK and RMC would appreciate you posting their prices up here.

7. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Good point! You notice that if you check any of the websites that list prices on GK equipment, they're all pretty much the same (perhaps within $5 or so). Take the 1001RB-II for example... You will not find a published price on the web under $749. That because it's the MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) that has been set by GK. This is the lowest price that a retailer can advertise, and is done in an effort to keep a level playing field between the mom&pop stores, larger retailers and online retailers. A number of online retailers get around it by emailing quotes or by posting MAP next to the $749 price (thus hinting that you can call for a lower price). Larger brick & morter stores (like GC or SamAsh) will usually match (or even beat) the price as long as you have it in writing (such as a quote or advertisement) or if they can easily verify it.

- Ugly.

8. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    I bought my old GK1001rb from ole Rik for SUPER cheap! Then when I got it home I played on it for about 5 minutes and it made a loud POP and crapped out! D'OH!! Lucky for me there is a registered GK deal near me and they replaced it for free...(i've heard this happened a lot in the regular 1001rb models)

If you find a dealer that matches prices you can show them Rik's price and they will beat it too :) I tried that out after I bought mine and they gave me a better price...Double D'OH!!

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    seeing as 'set pricing' is flat out illegal (see fair trade law) and Rik's has figured out a way to stay in business at a deep discount level - I can't see why they would object. By the way - when I got my 1001, the sales guy pulled it out of the box and did a burn in on it prior to shipping. Then he shipped it a couple of days later than usual so that it would arrive at my house on the day I got back from an extended road trip. So not only are Rik's prices attractive, but the level of customer service they exhibit is beyond what a lot of dealers will provide.

I had no idea that Rik's existed util they popped up in a thread a couple of months ago. Glad it did as it saved my about $150 ... So having that news pop up every so often isn't a bad thing.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Believe it. Aguilar pulled its entire line from Riks a few years ago because they were selling so cheap. The manufacturers DO care, and they sometimes get nasty about it.

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I bought my 700RBII for US$550 at Uncle Bob's in Milwaukee. Unfortunately I had to pay Milwaukee's five-point-something percent sales tax too.

...I don't understand Civics and trade law and stuff like that as I should, but it seems strange that folks are more-than-a-little discouraged from supporting LOCAL businesses because of the in-state sales tax vs. out-of-state (which now-days means on-line) tax savings.

Ol' Bob Jr. DID let me walk out of the store with it before I had it all paid for, though -- and I DID end-up a couple weeks later than I thought I'd be on that last $100 payment...

I think I'll stick with Bob and his Brothers.

Joe

12. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    changed my original post so prices arent being advertised. you would only think it would help business though?

13. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I don't know about that, I think many of us would prefer to deal with a local shop. I know I try to when I can... The problem usually is that many of the smaller local shops don't carry much of a selection. I'm fairly lucky in that respect living in central NJ, with access to quite a few stores both here in NJ and in New York. But not everyone has that advantage.

- Ugly.

14. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclaimer: The following does not apply to Rik's or any other
    specific customer or vendor.

This is a rather interesting topic, actually. Thanks for bringing it up, Eric.

The law in question, iirc was the Robinson-Patman act,
    and the law as intended was written to prevent restraint of
    trade. There were a number of points interesting about it which were designed to augment the Anti-trust legislation
    of the 30's.

To wit:

If I am a vendor, I am required to offer the similar pricing
    programs to all my customers on like goods.
    ( If I sell Walmart at 1.00, Target has to have that price
    as well, within limits ...freight cost, volume discounts, etc.)

If I promote my goods, all customers have to have access
    to similar promotions. ( We are offering 10 cents off on Pepsi at Giant this week, next week it is a Food Lion. Or at all,
    as long as they all got a similar offer.)

As a vendor, I am not allowed to force a customer to sell
    at any particular price (thus 'suggested' retail pricing).
    (I won't sell you my amps unless you sell for 700 or more.)
    ('We recommend a sell of 700' is ok, to suggest how much
    can be made in products mark-up is always helpful.)

Tie-ins are illegal. ( You can have a deal on 10 Amps at 300,
    but only if you buy 10 cabs at 600 to go with the order.)

The Reagan administration pretty much took the teeth out
    of the R-B act by telling the Justice Dept not to enforce it
    back in the 80's. It is still on the books. It is a good guideline
    for ethical sales practices.

Individual parties damaged can sue vendors for triple damages, but proving the case is not so easy, and expensive.

All that being said, Rik's themselves doesn't want their
    competitors to have their pricing merely by looking it up
    on the internet without working for it. That is way too easy.

Vendors often come under pressure from customers not
    to sell the customer's competitors. Some vendors cave on
    this depending on how important the existing relationship
    is. Theoretically it is not legal but, typically the reasons
    (legitinmate or not) given are:

You are not a stocking distibutor, (You are not carrying my line, just cherry-picking it.)

You don't pay within terms or are not credit worthy.
    (Hosebag shut-off.)

You can't buy our minimums. The minimums apply equally to
    everyone. (This is a good one).

You have excessive returns or unauthorized merchandise
    returns, or take unauthorized deductions.
    (Hosebag shutoff #2) ( A good rep solves this with
    buddhead tax on the order (Brad J and I had a good go round
    on this one some years back ...))

I don't like you or your boss's attitude, so I am not returning
    your phone call. ( I have done this, it is called 'firing' your customer).

So it is not so easy to 'pull' the line but it can be done,
    you have to be a bit careful about how you handle it,
    lest you open yourself to a suit.

Just FYI from the colorful world of sales ... :D

15. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Read fellow lowenders, this is GREAT stuff. And thats coming from an old time sales dog.