Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best glue for bow tip

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Silversorcerer, Jul 23, 2005.

1. The tip of my bow (the bone and the liner) came off all in one piece as a result of a close encounter with a hard tile floor. I have removed the hair, plugs, etc. and am prepared to glue the tip back on.

I have available hide glue in the following gram strengths:
    I also have carpenter's wood glue (PVA aliphatic resin) available.

Often the choice of glue for even minor repairs is somewhat controversial. Rather than bring an argument about, I would just like to hear opinions on which of the available glues, or others that I could get, would be the best to reglue the bow tip. There doesn't have to be a "right" answer, but I would like to hear the rationale for the choice.

The original glue looks like it was something brittle, probably hide glue. I have gently removed it by light scraping with a knife edge and both surfaces are clean and ready to be glued.

2. Having tried just about everything for gluing bow tips back, I'm now using superglue (crazyglue in your lingo?) and it works better than anything else.
    I know, it's not totally traditional, but it works well. Hide glue has the tendency to not stick very well to pernambuco or to bone, and if you have a fibre lining, it won't like that much either. Oh, and superglue eliminates all the clamping problems of bow tips. Just hold it a few seconds and you can carry on working.
    I would like to add that bow tips are just about the only place where I use super glue, at least the only place where I own up to using it ;-)
    I'm willing to learn, so if anyone has good reasons against superglue, I might just change.

3. Julie

Julie

Mar 6, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I use superglue when I replace tips.
    Julie

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    It's my understanding that the ivory tip is supposed to break away easily when the tip of the bow hits the floor to absorb the impact and hopefully save the bow.

5. That's exactly what it's supposed to do, but you don't want it to fall off at any other time. When it hits the floor, it will break and come off, no matter what glue you used. But if it's not stuck on properly, it comes off every time you rehair or with no reason at all.

6. Thank-you for the replies. Super glue it is, then. I think I was lucky it came off all in one piece like that with no bow damage. It should be easy to fix.