1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best grindy/open sounding jazz pickups for distortion?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Scott Baiowulf, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Scott Baiowulf

Scott Baiowulf

Apr 7, 2017
    Houston
    I’ve been playing with Aguila 4J-70s and they sound great overall but they’re just too warm for distortion. I play with an overdrive pedal 90% of the time with my band and need recommendations for something more grindy/open sounding.

2. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    Probably won't help you, but old Peavey Foundation Superferrites fit that bill perfectly.

bigtone23 and Scott Baiowulf like this.
  3. Scott Baiowulf

Scott Baiowulf

Apr 7, 2017
    Houston
    I’ve listened to the videos for those and they sound pretty warm to me. I really like the sound of the MM style big blades but these just don’t do it for me.

Yeah, I have a Lakland DJ-4 so I’m looking for regular jazz size pickups

Teacher and Killed_by_Death like this.
  4. Were you listening to Warm & Wooly or Clean & Clear?
    They wind them in two types:

upload_2018-11-5_22-25-17.

See, down here at the bottom ^^?

Scott Baiowulf likes this.
  5. Scott Baiowulf

Scott Baiowulf

Apr 7, 2017
    Houston
    It was definitely the clean and clear. That particular set of Nordys has just never done it for me. Of course YouTube videos can be deceiving, I thought the examples of the 4J-70s were a lot more clear than they turned out to be.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    The Pre mexi Fender STD jazz bass ceramic pickup fit your bill.

7. Scott Baiowulf

Scott Baiowulf

Apr 7, 2017
    Houston
    Pre mexi?

8. Whatever Geddy uses?

9. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I think he is referring to the MIJ Standards of the 80s.

10. Scott Baiowulf

Scott Baiowulf

Apr 7, 2017
    Houston
    Ah, that makes sense but seems like those would be a bit difficult to source.

11. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Delano has J singles and splits with large pole pieces. Expensive, but really meaty and grindy tone.

Nordstrand could probably custom build a set with large poles. Not sure if that would be cheaper. But, they are super great to work with and could certainly come up with a wind for your tastes.

There was a fairly recent video posted on the Nordstrand YouTube channel, of someone playing the clean and clear Jblades. I thought the sound was really good, there. But, maybe not bombastic enough for you?

Scott Baiowulf likes this.
  12. Scott Baiowulf

Scott Baiowulf

Apr 7, 2017
    Houston
    UPDATE: pulled the Aguilar 4J-70s out of my Lakland last night and am trading them to another TBer for a set of Sadowsky hum-canceling pickups.