Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best guitar amp I've ever heard

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Petebass, May 25, 2003.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I dep with this band occasionally - Excellent musicians, especially the guitarist. He's must have a lot of gear coz he keeps turning up with a different amp, all of which have sounded pretty good. But the amp he used last night was absolutely phenomenal.... Rocktron Egnater (pardon the spelling). Even that crappy Marshall Quad box couldn't disguise that this amps is fantastic. Just thought I'd share.

2. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    no, you should have been tought that all guitar amps are evil, good sounding or not. and it shouldn't go in amps, because that forum doesn't need to be taken down a few levels by putting in it a mention of an amp that asociates with the devil. yeah, it's a guitar amp, it's evil.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    that's my point. This one was different. It was nice. Very nice. And at only 50w, loud enough but not satan........

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The only guys I've seen with worse GAS than bass players are Guitar players!! The guitarist in my old blues band must've went through 20 guitars and a dozen amps in the 5 years we played together... If I tell him about the Rocktron this Thursday at the weekly jam, $20 says he has one in less than a month... Another $20 says he'll trade it away less than 6 mos. later!

-robert

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    A guitarist friend of mine is never satisfied with his tone.

he has a marshall 4x10 cab, and a really old marshall all tube amp. He is ALWAYS looking for weird things to do to get weird tones, his latest mod was tacking a sheet in front of the cab to cut out some of the highs.

the amp head can run at 100 watts but he is purposefully running it at 50 watts to get more gain, or something like that...I don;'t know, he is weird.

6. lowering the wattage gets you power tube breakup at lower volumes.

7. the best guitar amps i've ever hear were VHT's and Boogies, I don't know to me good distortion is when u can hear every single note of a chord rigng out perfectly. But it might be the amp or the guitar player. For example John Petrucci or Santana I think they both have great tone IMOP. But then again they both play boogies.

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    The best guitar amp tone in my experience is from Bedrock. They are out of business now, I think. It is a shame. I found one about three years ago and had to buy it. It is incredible. I wish my bass rig was as good for a bass as my guitar rig is for a guitar.But I got this 60W 2x12 amp for $300, and a comparable bass rig would have to be about 250W and at least two cabs. Not something I can do as cheaply.

9. my brother has a Koch kc50 deluxe top with a 2x12 cab; I really like that sound. It has a disto that isn't to fuzzy, no, just the way it should be; fat but not a wall of noise you can't get through (with your bassamp). And 50 watts isn't too much either. :)

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    how could it sound good? doesn't a guitarist play through it?