1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best guitar for recapturing of youth (gift on a budget)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Remyd, Oct 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    So, my brother is a stressed-out 30-something dad with the loudest kids ever devised. He's stuck in the same dad rut as many of us have been with |:workhomekidssleepworkhomekidssleep:| I'm desperately afraid that he's turning into the dull NASCAR dad whose hopes and dreams have been abandoned in the service of grinding, unappreciated work for the corporate overlords to extract a pittance of a paycheck that hasn't been raised substantially in 10 years. This is bad for him and it ain't great for the family either. He's not usually the kind to lose it, but I've been in that place myself, and it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I want to help, if only a little.

I gave his kiddo a uke and a couple chord shapes the other day, because music is awesome. She sent me a video of "You are my sunshine" yesterday. The cuteness is strong with that one. Dad was looking proudly on in the background.

Ah hah! A glimmer of hope!

With Xmas coming soon, I figured I'd find an instrument to get him into something that isn't associated with the daily grind. He used to play a tenor sax in high school, but that's much harder to manage as an adult without a group playing environment for support. Also tenor saxes are fairly expensive, even used, and even the student models.

He doesn't have the temperament for bass, unfortunately. But, what instrument better embodies the frustrations of the working class that the good old guitar? And better yet, which (non-bass) instrument better encapsulates the classic rock (his preferred genre) gawds than the electric?

Wandered into a pawn shop and picked up a working Fender practice amp (with a not-at-all-bad dirty tone, if a little quiet) for $10, but I was wary of the guitars both because of the prices that I found to be higher than I thought was reasonable, and because I didn't quite know what to get the guy. I'm very budget limited.

What should I be thinking to get him started? Jangly Strat? Classic Tele? Roaring LP? Modern Ibby? Headbanger ESP? Any suggestions to get my brother on the road to dadrock stardom?

Tom Bomb and Luke19Boarder like this.
  2. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    I'm assuming electric? Either a VM (cheaper) or classic vibe squier strat or tele, or an ephipone SG or LP (glue-in neck!). Any of these are fine to start, and can be made to be decent players. Look around for used first, of course.

3. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm absolutely going used and will be setting everything up prior. In the midwest, at this time of year, I get plenty of practice with my basses. :)

The major problem is that the amount of information I know about guitars could be written in sharpie on the inside of a matchbook, if those are even around anymore. I want to give the guy something he'll get into. I always think of Teles as Classic, Strats as Bright, LPs as Roaring, SGs as Chunky, Ibbys as Aggressive, etc. How does one go about choosing an axe for a first time string player that's a fan of classic rock (and a little harder, although not much)?

4. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    Eh, you're thinking about it way too much. Any of the above would work fine for a new player. He was a teen in the 90s? Maybe go with an epi SG, more for aesthetics than anything else. Tell him it'll make him look like Kim Thayil or Angus Young, or whatever. Overall tone won't make any difference to a new player, anyway.

5. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    Epiphone classic VI Thunderbird, great bass and he'll look more intimidating to his kids and they'll shut T. F. up

Remyd likes this.
  6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    You can never go wrong with a Strat. It's the most versatile stock electric guitar. Plus Fenders are awesome cool.

How much could a used MIM go for? Whatever that number is sounds worth it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  7. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Get the one that sounds the best :) Simpler the better - a tele would be nice, an LP junior, or a Melody Maker, a strat, even a hum-bucking acoustic can set a heart on fire :cool:

8. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    In the bass world many extol the virtues of the older Peavey US made Fury as a great bang for the buck instrument. The American Fury is a great, inexpensive taste of a Precision without the Fender price.

In the guitar world Peavey made American copies of the Stratocaster (Predator), and the Telecaster (Reactor). They have not made them in a few years, but they are great instruments for the money. The Predator is easy to find, the Reactor is slightly more rare.

Here is my Predator.

001-1.

There is one on the Music Go Round site right now for $120.

Used Peavey PREDATOR Electric Guitar Black | Electric Guitars | Music Go Round

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    My brother recently picked up an MIM tele and I gifted him with a set of vintage Fender tele pickups and a shielding job while i was in there and he's happier than a pig in poop.

I see MIM strat's and tele's in the local CL all the time for around three hundred bucks, and from what I've seen of them in the hands of guitar players I know who use them, they ain't no slouches.