1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Half Rounds for Through Body Stingray

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by W.Roberts, Oct 26, 2016.

1. W.Roberts

W.Roberts Banned

Oct 20, 2015
    Have on now D'addario ENR71SL on a Stingray Classic 4. Unfortunately the gauge is too light. Does there exists half rounds in super long or thru-body option that are heavier and endure daily playing?

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I have the medium long scale halfrounds on mine and they fit the thru-body fine with plenty left at end. no reason for super long scale.

3. The required winding length on my through-the-body 'Ray is 37 inches. You'll want to check your winding length and buy based on that, rather than by long or super-long or ultra-long with a cherry on top from manufacturer descriptions.

40Hz likes this.
  4. W.Roberts

W.Roberts Banned

Oct 20, 2015
    Ernie Ball wrote "The string length from the ball end to the fretboard side of the nut is 36 3/8" measured with string installed and up to tension. (A 440)" for my through-body bridge considerations. I must admit the ENR71SL sound fantastic but I think you guys are right about D'addario medium half rounds. OK. I shall instruct my deep state connection to gets me some.

5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Yup! The lady us spot on the sugar about that. :thumbsup:

Learned that the hard way with my own string-through basses. "Long" and "extra-long" leave a lot of room for interpretation. Always go with the actual winding length.

6. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    I almost passed on a dead mint 30th anniversary due to the "through body" bit. I bought it before something else happened and, fyi, a new set of Rotosounds had the windings clearing the nut by an inch. (Yea!!)
    I thought I was condemned to either extra longs or a few Non-twine strings. Not the case. Check on each option/change due to ad hoc sizing by makers, but most of the time you'll be okay. I wouldn't say that about a 35" scale, though.

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    When I bought my first StingRay back in 1979, it came from the factory with GHS Brite Flats. I used them for quite a while before switching to rounds. I like the much better than the D'Addario HR-72.

Linnin likes this.