Best head for $1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, Dec 21, 2004.

1. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    ok, im a student and will be buying a head at the end of the college year. going by my budget for the next 5 months i should have enough money saved to get a head for about $1000. this does not mean it has to be $1000 it can be under that but not mch over it. the cabs it will be paired with are a avatar 1x15 and an avatar 2x12. so what good heads are there for $1000. id love a tube head, i was thining maybe a traynor YBA200. but i want a good quality head that will last me a good few years. i play mostly rock and metal anything from green day to metallica via the doors and thin lizzy. i play a olp spector but that will probably get a new friend in the shape of a geddy lee fender, a mike dirnt fender or a highway 1 fender. so what to you guys think? what should i get? i like a very rounded sound for clean but also play with distortion and wah and for that i like a nice balance of highs and lows.
  2. Best Head for a Grand. . . .

Eden WT 550

Or perhaps a Mesa M Pulse or Big Block (not sure on price)

or even an Ashdown ABM 500.

(I was really tempted to make this thread into a riddle which mocked the actual expendatures us guys go through to make the girls happy, but that would be innappropriate. I'll save that for a song title.)
  3. ASHDOWN ABM500 EVO 11 best amp you will ever need, blew my Ampeg stuff far away.
  4. Mmmm . . .
    Can you still find a vintage SVT around for that. That would rock the house, and you're young, you could probably lift it without throwing your back out :)
  5. chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    In this range, there isn't a best. It will be a matter of your personal taste. I spent a little over a grand for my Bassman 300, but surely there are folks who don't envy my purchase.
  6. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I remeber when i didn't play bass and saw one of those heads on internet and thought they dont weight a ****, it's the cab.

7. chardin

Sep 18, 2000

8. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Go used - there's SO MUCH good stuff out there for sub-$1000.
  9. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    How 'bout a thunderfunk????

It's under a grand new.

It has recieved great reviews.

It is lightweight.

Check out the reviews on talkbass, go to basstasters and listen. I will be adding a TF sometime in the future - perhaps it is the right amp for you.
  10. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    my vote for a rock/metal head would be a used trace AH600. I think about $600.
  11. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I have a trace AH400 if anyone is interested.

I also want to know what is the best head around 1k. I personally play a lot of Rock and R&B.
  12. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Between now and the time you have the cash, take every opportunity to try every head/cabinet combination you can. At this price range, it isn't so much a matter of what is "best" but rather what suits your taste.

If you're looking for a starting point however, the posts so far have some very good suggestions of heads to try. Here's a few I'd suggest checking out (in no particular order)

- Thunderfunk TFB420 (or the new 500 Dave Funk has been working on)
    - Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II
    - Mesa Walkabout
    - EA iAmp 500 (you may have to look used to meet your price)
    - Eden Traveler 400 (or 550 if you can find one used)

Good luck in your search!

- Ugly
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I agree that their are lots of good choices. If it were me, it would come down to:

EA iAMP 800 or 500
    Thunderfunk TFB420 (or 500?)
    Mesa Boogie Walkabout (or M-Pule 600 or Big Block 750)

The Eden WT500 would also be a contender.
  14. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Between the iAmp 500 and 800, I'd definitely go for the additional headroom available from the 800. If you've got a g-note to spend, I'd get the most watts I could afford - a decision you won't regret later.

If you decide you'd like to try the iAmp 800, I happen to know where a new (taken out of the box and tested) one is for sale for a good price (see sig below.) ;)
  15. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Rack rig! get a 3 or 4 space case, a cheap power amp, sansamp RBI, and even a compressor, and you're set!
  16. iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Used 400+ & be done with it.