1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best head for $1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, Dec 21, 2004.

1. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    ok, im a student and will be buying a head at the end of the college year. going by my budget for the next 5 months i should have enough money saved to get a head for about $1000. this does not mean it has to be $1000 it can be under that but not mch over it. the cabs it will be paired with are a avatar 1x15 and an avatar 2x12. so what good heads are there for $1000. id love a tube head, i was thining maybe a traynor YBA200. but i want a good quality head that will last me a good few years. i play mostly rock and metal anything from green day to metallica via the doors and thin lizzy. i play a olp spector but that will probably get a new friend in the shape of a geddy lee fender, a mike dirnt fender or a highway 1 fender. so what to you guys think? what should i get? i like a very rounded sound for clean but also play with distortion and wah and for that i like a nice balance of highs and lows.

2. Best Head for a Grand. . . .

Eden WT 550

Or perhaps a Mesa M Pulse or Big Block (not sure on price)

or even an Ashdown ABM 500.

(I was really tempted to make this thread into a riddle which mocked the actual expendatures us guys go through to make the girls happy, but that would be innappropriate. I'll save that for a song title.)

3. ASHDOWN ABM500 EVO 11 best amp you will ever need, blew my Ampeg stuff far away.

4. Mmmm . . .
    Can you still find a vintage SVT around for that. That would rock the house, and you're young, you could probably lift it without throwing your back out :)

5. chunky

chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    In this range, there isn't a best. It will be a matter of your personal taste. I spent a little over a grand for my Bassman 300, but surely there are folks who don't envy my purchase.

6. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I remeber when i didn't play bass and saw one of those heads on internet and thought they dont weight a ****, it's the cab.

:hyper:

7. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    +1

:smug:

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Go used - there's SO MUCH good stuff out there for sub-$1000.

9. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    How 'bout a thunderfunk????

It's under a grand new.

It has recieved great reviews.

It is lightweight.

Check out the reviews on talkbass, go to basstasters and listen. I will be adding a TF sometime in the future - perhaps it is the right amp for you.

10. inazone

inazone Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    ditto!
    my vote for a rock/metal head would be a used trace AH600. I think about $600.

11. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I have a trace AH400 if anyone is interested.

I also want to know what is the best head around 1k. I personally play a lot of Rock and R&B.

12. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Between now and the time you have the cash, take every opportunity to try every head/cabinet combination you can. At this price range, it isn't so much a matter of what is "best" but rather what suits your taste.

If you're looking for a starting point however, the posts so far have some very good suggestions of heads to try. Here's a few I'd suggest checking out (in no particular order)

- Thunderfunk TFB420 (or the new 500 Dave Funk has been working on)
    - Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II
    - Mesa Walkabout
    - EA iAmp 500 (you may have to look used to meet your price)
    - Eden Traveler 400 (or 550 if you can find one used)

Good luck in your search!

- Ugly

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I agree that their are lots of good choices. If it were me, it would come down to:

EA iAMP 800 or 500
    Thunderfunk TFB420 (or 500?)
    Mesa Boogie Walkabout (or M-Pule 600 or Big Block 750)

The Eden WT500 would also be a contender.

14. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Between the iAmp 500 and 800, I'd definitely go for the additional headroom available from the 800. If you've got a g-note to spend, I'd get the most watts I could afford - a decision you won't regret later.

If you decide you'd like to try the iAmp 800, I happen to know where a new (taken out of the box and tested) one is for sale for a good price (see sig below.) ;)

15. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Rack rig! get a 3 or 4 space case, a cheap power amp, sansamp RBI, and even a compressor, and you're set!

16. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Used 400+ & be done with it.