Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Head for 4x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Al the boy, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Al the boy

Al the boy

Mar 3, 2006
    Hi there everybody

I just joined up today cos I figured this must be the best place to come to, in order to get some sound advice.

I've been looking to upgrade my rig for some time but amplification is really not my strong suit...

Anyway, I just picked up a vintage Fender 4x12 cab from the early 70s (Bassman 100 cab??), the one with the speakers angled inwards.

I was wondering what head I should get to match it. I play a vintage Fender P and I'm looking for some vintage rock tube tone. Any ideas?

Cheers

al

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Fender Bassman 100 head. I bought mine seperately from the cabinet - I didn't like the cabinet, but they were made to go together. Can't go wrong, really.

3. Al the boy

Al the boy

Mar 3, 2006
    Thanks man. Do those badboys come up on the bay at all? Out of curiosity - what was it about the cab that didn't tickle your toes?

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I thought it would have sounded better for guitar, frankly. They come up on eBay often. Also, Low Down Sound in Detroit ( www.lowdownsound.com ) has one up for sale, though the grill cloth is considerably darkened through club smoke, I assume. Also, keep an eye out for Super Bassmans (predecessor) and Bassman 135s (successor).

5. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    You'll find the Bassman 100 head a little on the weak side.
    I used to run one or two of those cabs with an original series Ampeg SVT head and it sounded great. I still have one Fender Bassman 412 that I run my Yorkville XS800H thru every once in a while and it still sounds fine. Despite what the specs are on the cab it loves alot of head room and it also goes good with an all tube head over 200 watts or a head that has a good tube pre amp section like the Yorkville XS800H. For some reason I couldn't get a decent sound out of them with solid state heads.
    Also check out the condition of the speakers to see if the rubber is cracked near the edges. If it is, take it to a reputable shop and have them repaired. It shouldn't cost much. I did and they still sound great.
    It's a big full sound that you can get out of that cab that you won't get out of most of the little focused cabs of today. Tubes,watts and little EQing will make the Fender 412 sound just fine.
    Happy Times,
    Rezdog

6. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    Any of these should do you good,
    Yorkville XS800H,
    Traynor YBA200,
    Fender Bassman 300,
    Ampeg SVT, an old all tube one.
    Rezdog

7. Allow me to agree with Eric. I owned one of these cabinets for a little over a year. Hated it. My guitarist loved it. Truth be told, I ran a SS head through it, but for my taste it was too much bulk for too little of what I was looking for. I still have 2 of the blown drivers in my garage. I sold the other two to a guitarist and disposed of the cabinet.

Mike

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    This is a valid concern. I think it depends more on the cabinet you're playing it through, and if you're willing to get a little gritty in your sound. With efficient cabinets, I'd put up my Bassman to just about any guitar player/drummer combo (within some reason). Still, this is a very valid concern. If the power isn't enough, keep an eye out for a Fender 400PS, which is basically 3 Bassman 135s in one head. 435 conservatively rated tube watts would be something to behold.

Hope this helps out.

9. Al the boy

Al the boy

Mar 3, 2006
    Hey, that's all really good stuff. Thanks guys. And thanks for the tip on the speaker rims Rezdog. I pick it up Sunday, so I'll be sure to check it out.

You know, I've heard a few people slate 12s before but the way I figured it, I'm not playing huge venues right now, and even a 6x10 seems a little excessive, let alone an 8x10. I mean, if I had a roadie, sure, bring on the Eden 8x10s, but as it's just me right now, I figured a 4x12 will look and sound the part. I just hope I'm right about that...

But anyhows, yeah, I need to get my hands on a sweet all tube head. Loving the thought of the Bassman 300 but it probably weighs more than the cab does. Maybe. On top of that, it's probably a little bit more than I need. Right now, I'm leaning towards an old Bassman or SVT...

10. To clarify: I've got nothing against 12's. When that cabinet died I bought a 2x12 more suited for the job.

Mike