1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best head for 810E :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Musicman20, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Decent Basses -check, new cab - check, sansamp - check

Right...ive got my awesome Ampeg 810E....****ing love it. Immaculate construction, such a beast, and those tens...well :)

So...ive had quarter life crisis about getting it around n forgotten about that.

Now...Ive got a great Trace Elliot GP12 400SMX Series Bass Head. 400W, clear tone, great trace sound to it. I love it and im keeping it.

Next is a new head to rock the 810 like it should be. I go for Fender P's, Stingrays etc. I like a bright snappy and snarly tone, but with tons of oommmppphhhh.

Heads im thinking of:

Ampeg SVT-CL Classic Series Bass Head (obviously)

Ampeg SVT2 Pro Bass Head

Ampeg SVT4 Pro Bass Head

Ampeg SVT8PRO Bass Head

Im starting to properly research these heads now, so excuse my lack of knowledge!

Anyone got any suggestions?

2. crack-boom

crack-boom

Jun 14, 2008
    New Zealand
    SVT-CL cause it looks sooo cool on top of the 810 an it sounds great IMO...

3. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

SVT-VR because it looks GOOD and sounds better than the CL. The CL is too muddy for me.

4. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    One of the all tube SVTs, Orange AD200B, or Mesa Bass 400+

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    SVT-II (non pro)

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Definitely a tube head. It certainly is all up to personal preference, but IMHO tube amps are the best match for big sealed cabs like the 8x10. Massive sounding, very mid-heavy aggressive tone. Perfect for rock.

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Duh!:smug::p:D

My SVT-CL and a 8x10 is mindbogglingly (I think I just invented a new word!) loud and the tone is amazing. The ONLY better sounding head IMO is the SVT-VR. More expensive and just a tiny bit warmer IMO.

Good backup option. A Mesa 400+ is also another great head with a 8x10.

8. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    Vintage SVT!

9. Lord knows I love my SVT CL

I think you might love one too...

I got a great deal on a used MIA model off of the Guitar Center Website, an underused resource. Good price and a clean amp the down side was the $80.00 in shipping.

I am so glad I didn't get one of the hybrid units.

I was watching a bunch of used SVT 4 Pro's and while they would have been more affordable on the front end I know I would have wanted the all tube amp eventually. Buying twice always costs me more.

I like the 4 pro more than most people seem to here on TB but for the kind of stuff I play the CL was the obvious choice.

10. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Either the Mesa 400+ or an SVT-II non-pro. The SVT2-Pro is also a good amp. The Classic looks the best, but's far from the best tube amp out there IMO. The SVT-II is far better in terms of tone and versatility (the 2Pro is also versatile, but it's got the same basic tone as the Classic). However, the Mesa 400+ is a totally different beast that you should try out, if possible. Either you'll love it or hate it, no in-between.

When I had my 810E cabinet, I got to use many heads with it, including an SVT-CL, a Mesa 400+, and a GK 800RB. The Ampeg was the worst in my opinion. The Mesa and Gallien-Krueger were excellent! With the 800RB I got a very similar sound to Joe Lally from Fugazi.

11. +1 (especially the AD200b), and ditch the sansamp :bag:

12. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    Whilst we are on the subject of tube heads here, which tube head has the highest power rating? My little V4B is only 100W, and the CL is 300, so what are the VR and the Mesa 400+ rated at? Need to know so when I upgrade....8)

13. Almost forgot about the Marshall VBA!
    All tube 400 watts, and a lovely warm but aggressive tone.

14. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    The VR is 300 watts, and the 400+ is about 250-270 watts, depending on who you ask. The older Bass 400 is about 200 watts.

However, in terms of volume, many folks claim that the 400+ is louder than most SVT's, except for the 70's ones.

15. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    Weird, I just visited Mesa's website and it rated the 400+ at 500Watts at 2 Ohms. The Ampeg 810E is a 4 Ohm cabinet.:confused:

16. Exactly what he just said.

You either go all tube or all solid state. The only exception would be a Mesa bb750 or the bigger version which I think is called the V12

17. I would use a Sansamp with pretty much all of the heads listed so far, especially those like the Marshall and Orange, which have passive EQs, and lend themselves to outsourcing for such things. And certainly, your opinion cannot be completely formed until you have run Bass> Fuzz> Sansamp> Tube head. That is a sound that cannot be recreated anywhere.

18. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    The 500 watt rating is a very peak output... You'd have to be screaming through the amp to get it.

I think the 400+ is a solid 300 watts.

Don't worry about the impedances. Any of the all tube heads will put out max power into a 4 ohm load.

19. I'm just not personally a fan of the BBDI, especially when used with a tube amp. Whats the point of using a emulator in front of a rig it is emulating? The only pedal I ever liked in front of my BBDI when I had it was a tubescreamer, the low cut and mid boost matched the BBDI's massive low end and lack of mids. All personal preference of course, if you like the sound you can get with a BBDI into a tube amp thats cool.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know...you could use the BDDI to give another flavor of OD instead of fuzz. I'm getting a lot more fond of emulation these days, though. The BDDI was good for its day, but so much other stuff blows it away now. It's a decent little box, but the newer stuff is better. I'm actually thinking of incorporating my VT into my B-15 stack as a way of getting a DI that sounds like my amp for the whiny anti-mic soundmen.