Best head for a 500w Ampeg SVT410 HLF?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shockadelica319, May 10, 2021.

1. Shockadelica319

Shockadelica319

Apr 19, 2018
    Hi y'all, I'm currently looking for a suitable head for my 500w Ampeg SVT410 HLF. I've been using an Eden WT-400 "The Traveler" World Tour head for several years now and it's getting a little old. Seems like I have to take it in to get repairs every couple of months and it's becoming a hassle. I'd like something a little more modern, probably a solid state and was looking for options. I've been interested in the Mesa/Boogie Subway D-800 for bit but I'm not sure how that would pair with my 500w amp, I don't want to increase my chances of damaging my speaker. A while back I was at a gig where a bass player let me use that exact set up and it sounded awesome to my ears though and that's why I'm interested. Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. johnnynitro

johnnynitro

Jan 14, 2012
    If you like The MessaB Get it ! Just be careful that you don't OverCrank It ! I have a 1000 watter on (almost) the same cab.(4/10He) And its Way Loud before the drivers start farting out.

3. FRoss6788

FRoss6788 Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    The Mesa is a great head:bassist:
    You can "de-rate" it by switching it to 2 ohm operation and that will lower the power to that cabinet. Should be a safe match.

4. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    I would also mention that the D800+ has a high-pass filter, and I think that alone is worth the extra hundred bones.

While it may sound counter-intuitive, using a moderate amount of hpf along with boosting the bass eq can allow you to get some real punch while simultaneously protecting your cab (I have the same cab, a Heritage SVT410HLF) from damaging ultra-lows, and it will also help in keeping the sound from getting too wooly or woofy when pushed. I have a Mesa TT800 and love the HPF feature for this reason. Good luck!

Gearhead17 likes this.
  5. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    Ampeg PF500.

6. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Think Pink Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I have the same cabinet.

If you are going solid state, the Ampeg pf500 or pf800.

other than solid state only… I have a Genz-Benz Shuttlemax 9.2, and Ampeg svt6 pro, and Ampeg pf50t. Hard to pick a favorite.

7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    For the SVT 410hlf, the best sound I ever experienced out of it was through the Ampeg SVT 3 PRO. Those two were truly designed for each other. Defined mids, great lows, high end sounded good too. However, I own a D800 now and would gladly use it on ANY speaker cabinet. Don't get hung up on what head and what cab.

8. bftbassman

bftbassman

Aug 23, 2014
    Ephrata PA
    Do great with this..in Drop C with this band.
    svt rig main.jpg

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021