Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Head for a Hartke 410 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pin_head_47, Apr 13, 2003.

1. I'd like to know what the best head I can get for the money would be for a Hartke cab... I figure to go with the matching head would be a no brainer, but i know theres alot more out there. I went with the 4.5 XL cab cause i like the sound of the aluminum cones and its the best cab they make with a high-end driver. Now I need a head... I play alot of prograssive hard rock (often with drop tuning) and alot of slap style funk/jazz stuff as well.

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Hartke HA3500. A local bassist around here uses one and it sounds great. TONS of punch.

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I have a Hartke HA4000 head, and I have to say it´s a good amp with lots of power (290W @ 8 ohms; 400W @ 4 ohms). I use it with a hartke 410TP, though, once I tried with a 4.5XL and man, what a big and punchy sound.

4. Thanks guys... i thought their heads sounded but i never got to try to many of them with the cab. has anyone tried out one with, say, a ampeg SVT or SWR? I wouldn't mind to try some of them either.

5. I've used that cab for the past 7 yrs and I love it. I've used it with a variety of heads and pre-amp combinations. The band I working with right now plays quite a bit of progressive rock and even some funk. I don't know exactly which guitar you are planning on using but I can tell you without a doubt that the best tone I've ever gotten from the 4.5XL is with a Lakland 5502 -> Alembic F1-X -> QSC PLX 1202 power-amp. It can more than keep up with the loudest drummer, and it has a ton of balls. good luck.....

6. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

IMO the best setup would be a GK700rb or 800rb head, hartke XLs are made for clean sound and the Gallien Krueger seems to work very well with it,

7. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I'll second the F1X vote, that's what I've got and I love it. However "for the money" means a lot of different things to folks, it may not be in your range. The GK heads were also mentioned; I do know Will Lee played through a GK 800 RB and a Hartke 4X10 stack for a LONG time, and if it's good enough fo Will...:D

8. Right now my main axe is an Ibanez SR5000 custom (very similar similar to the SR3000 with the d-tuner) with a set of active P and J pickups and adjustable midrange control. Its all im playing right now, since I like to stick with one on a consistant basis so that I always have a feel for the same instrument. The neck is great too. When I say best for the money I just mean a good all-around head without having to spend 2 grand for an Aguilar or something like that... I'd like to go for anything well under a thousand right now but if I save some cash this summer maybe I'll upgrade. Peace, and thanks...

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I also agree that Hartke cabs sound great with GK heads........great match! SWR & Hartke are a bad combo IMHO, I always had trouble when I used my SWR when I used Hartke cabs.......blew a few up:(

10. With that being said, I think you should look at either a Hartke or GK head. I've played my 4.5 with as little as 250 watts and it was still louder than I needed.