Best head for Ampeg 810e?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DraVenSF, Apr 28, 2005.

1. I'm going to buy an Ampeg 810 real soon but was wondering which head to have it go with. i was thinking of having the SVT-CL, but was open to more suggestions.

As for styles. I am very diverse. I like mixing things up. Sometimes heavy rock or more of a funky style with the slap and pop.

I've heard some people say the 810 gives just a loud mushy sound, but ive always heard it sounds great..which is true? im very confused lol

well hope to get some opinions and suggestions...thanks in advance
  2. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Try the Tech21 Landmark 600 Head.... 2 separate channels which can be switched between or combined to create your own tone..... and a variety of sounds from great growling rock tones to traditional full round bass tones to hi-fi slap & pop. :)

Check it out.... :bassist:
  3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Mesa 400+ would give you that tube warmth etc and will be cleaner than the Ampeg.

Personally, for the weight/size/money, I think you can get a better cab, especially if your a diverse player. But it's all personal opinion.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

My name is Burning Skies, and I endorse Popinfresh's post wholeheartedly.

I love the 400+ and it runs as clean (or not) as you want it. I also would avoid a big 8x10 unless you enjoy moving it...I think you can get a more versatile set up with 2 smaller cabs...10's on top and either 12's or 15 on the bottom.
  5. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    why not get 2 4x10's for versatility purposes?
  6. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Before you buy this cab, try it out and hear for yourself. Also, take careful note of it's size. I hope you have some friends, roadies, groupies, ect to help you carry it.

My favorite speaker config is a 4x10" cab and a 1x15" cab it erms of sound and abiltiy to move around. I recenlty downsized to two 2x12" cabs. '

My favorite amp is an Ampeg SVT 2 all tube pre and power amp but... it ways about 75 #. My SVT3 all tube preamp and hybrid tube/mofset power is a more realistic choice.
  7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Call me crazy, but an SWR SM-400s bridged though an 810e is a KILLER sound. One of the best I've heard ... I just never wanted to lug the fridge.

GKs also tend to sound good with the fridge if you're looking for something other than the obvious SVT head.
  8. I really like my 810e with the SVP-Pro. Loud, punchy, and warm.
  9. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    My favorite GK + Ampeg combo I've heard is the 1001rb on an SVT610.