Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best head for Ampeg 8x10 classic cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Macbeth56, Dec 9, 2003.

1. I am looking to get a new head, and the new cab I am thinking about getting, is the 8x10s.
    The heads-
    SVT-4 pro
    B4R
    Classic

I tried out the SVT-4 Pro, and the Classic, and the SVT-350H the one that looks like a classic head. I tried out the 350h, and the peaking didnt go off, like how it does on my B2R, set up to the 8x10s, the same amount of power i have sent to 4x10s, and it wasnt peaking at all, like with my b2r. I dont understand? maybe my b2r is just a little used.

The SVT-4 pro is nice, but a lot of stuff, when the Classic is basic and I like both.

The classic head, sounded really good, and loud, but
    I DONT GET THE TUBE THING. The SVT 4 pro has so much power, but the classic is supposedly the best. How do tubes work? I dont get it.
    300 watts, compared to "1600". Help, PLEASE!!!

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The 4-pro will not be 4 times louder simply because the power rating is 4 times that of the CL. If you like the features go with the 4 pro. I chose the CL because it sounds great and its loud and not too complicated. I dont mind the weight which is important if you decide to go with the CL.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Classic. No competition.