Best Head For Epifani 410UL?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guru0z, Aug 17, 2003.

1. guru0z

Aug 17, 2003
    Im considering buying the Epifani 410UL but Im having trouble deciding on a head to go with it. Any ideas?
  2. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Think about a separate pre/power combination. The epifanis are reputed to sound best with high power (for headroom), which limits your possibilities with a head.

Right now I power my 2x12 and 1x12 with a Peavey DPC 1000 amp and a Trace V-type pre (or a Summit TD-100 DI when I don't need EQ). I may end up getting a more powerful amp in the future.

What are you using it for? What's the impedence? etc etc
  3. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    I too would suggest a pre-amp/power amp setup. I own an Epifani Ultralight 4x10 and 1x15 and I use them with a QSC PL224 power amp and an EBS Classic pre-amp.
  4. ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    In total agreement with everyone here. I have an Epi 3x10, demeter pre and stew power. Best sounding rig i have ever owned and headroom for days. Epi's like lots of power.
  5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I have and recommend a Demeter preamp -> QSC PLX power amp.

The preamp will be one of the main influences in the overall sound of your system (together with the speakers which you already have).
    Demeter's have a clean/fast sound.
    Alembic F-1X has a scooped mid's sound that's great for old school funk/R&B and slapping/popping.
    Kern similar to the Alembic with very strong low end and better mids.
    Ampeg SVP-Pro is a good rock/blues preamp, but also fairly versatile.
    Aguilar preamps can go from fairly articulate to smooth overdriven; they have a unique sound that is difficult to describe.
    EBS makes some good preamps.
    A lot of TBers use and recommend the Tech 21 RBI.
    BBE has a couple of new preamps out that I have heard good things about.
    You can check out most of these at basstasters.

Another good option is the EA iAmp-800 (especially if your cab is 4 ohm).
  6. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I use an Aguilar 680/728 pre/power combo with my Epi 410 - and it's absolutely to die for. All the warmth of the Aguilar sound, but balanced with the clarity and punch of Epifani. Like Mr. Joker said - "it was like taking a wet blanked off the speaker cab" (switching to Epi cabs after Aguilar).

One of the main (and most exciting) things I noticed about the cab switch I recently made (epi 410 from aggie 410), is that I can now hear the tone change when I play on different areas of the strings, even in a gig setting! Same with EQ changes and being able to hear the nuances of the amp itself.
  7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i use a sm400s into my 2x10... acurate!

my personal belief and YMMV is that start with it as clean as possible then if you want to color later go for it but you cant take mud out if mud is the heads nature**cough eden cough**
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

great to hear you finally got your hands on an Epi. and it sounds like a freakie combo!

tho i love my DB680 preamp with Epi stuff, i'm more partial to my Kern preamp. the smooth darkness of the Kern complements that clear voice of the Epi.

but the moral of the story is any high quality head should be used with the Epi. no sense in buying a Ferrari, but using spare donuts for wheels. ;)

also, IMHO, Epi's have a certain clarity and openness that if you use a crappy head, that head'll sound even worse. so choose carefully.
  9. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    not to hijack but...

Joker, do you really think the Kern is clearer than the 680?
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oops, i meant smooth and dark... :meh:
  11. AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    I have an Eden World Tour 800 and am considering purchasing an Epifani 410UL 8 Ohm cab. What do you think of the combination?