1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best head for grinding rock tone that will cut the mix.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LlymboKO, Nov 1, 2006.

1. LlymboKO

LlymboKO

Aug 22, 2006
    I recently purchased a GMP Elite, which is the bass I have been searching for quite a while....but I am currently looking for a head that will cut the mix with great grinding rock tone. I mean I have been advised on getting the obvious heads such as the Mesa Big Block 750, SWR SM 900, higher end Ampeg etc. But I'm not sure if these will produce the sound I'm looking for. I know I could get a Sans amp RBI but currently I don't have the extra money to buy an additional rack mount....any advice on a head that you think will help my case? Thanks....

2. Cuts through with a great grindy tone? If you are on a budget I would definately check out the Traynor YBA-200.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    A grindy rock tone that cuts through would be Gallien Krueger. Give them a try. Make sure to use their cabs - it's the secret to their awesome sound. Grindy mean tone (30hz-5khz) going through the 15's, 10's, or 12's with ultra highs (above 5 khz) 100% clear through the tweeter.

4. LlymboKO

LlymboKO

Aug 22, 2006
    I'm not on a budget for the head I have the money......I'm just thinking it'll be a while to get anything in addition....like preamps....so I want something that will do what I want it to on it's own. What about the SWR Mo Bass head?

5. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    GKs also sound nice and grindy through eden cabs.

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    +1 to all that!

GK amps have the grind and growl I love, and they cut through rock band mixes better a lot of tube amps I've tried.

7. I'm going to have to say that my experience with GK distortion has not been a good one. The overdrive/distortion channel sounded fine at lower volumes in GC, but when I had to use one for a gig the distortion channel was the worst tone I have ever heard. This was some sort of GK combo, maybe I was just using the wrong model I dunno. But as far as tube heads for grind go, my favorites are the Traynor YBA-200, Fender Bassman Pro 300, and the real vintage SVT (but it needs to be cranked). I actually get most of my harder distortions from a Boss GT-6B going through a Mesa 400+, and it sounds quite awesome. Various vintage Sunn heads are great for getting overdrive and distortion when cranked, but be sure you get a model with just the right amount of wattage so that you get distortion but do not need more headroom. As for the Mo Head, I love the SWR IOD with a power amp but the Mo Head is said to have plenty of issues. If you want to pay more for other effects and get the IOD, get the Mo preamp and use a good power amp.

8. The 1001rbII doesn't have a distortion channel, but if you set it up right, it doesn't need it. "Grind" being the gritty overdriven sound, not necessarily "distortion" in it's purest definition.
    So I'll second the GK, get the 1001 or 2001 and a 4x10, grind city, especially with an active bass that you can boost the mids on.:bassist:
    I grind my drummer's face off every time I turn it on.:D
    C7

9. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Personally, I would choose just about any amp besides the Mo.

I would go with either a Mesa 400+, Mesa V12 or Mesa MPulse 600. Or maybe an SVT or Fender Pro 300

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Grinding rock tone is an SVT cranked. One trick pony but pretty good at that one trick. There are a lot of other amps that will give you that and a lot more.

11. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'd get a used Crest CA-9 power amp, and then a good rack preamp like an Aguilar or Demeter to go with it. :D

12. karrot-x

karrot-x Inactive

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I have the Mesa BigBlock 750. It is not a joke head. The overdrive channel really is an OVERDRIVE channel. I love my amp so much, I had the M-Pulse 600 before it. I never want to go back :).

13. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Ashdown is an option too. The knobs on it are set to the ideal frequencies for rock.

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    It must've been a Backline series combo.

I was actually referring to the overdrive channel on the 2001RB - it's MUCH better than what's on the Backline stuff. It can resemble tube overdrive, and can do a wide range of other sounds, too. Cranking up the volume on a Backline combo hasn't exactly been the world's most enjoyable experience for me, which is why the 2001RB's OD channel surpised me.

Of course, if you're more fond of how a tube responds, there's no guarantee that a GK head will appeal to you. GK heads aren't as warm as a good tube head, but they can be rather warm for a solid-state amp, as well as have a range of other tones. There's a good reason why they're popular without tubes; not everyone wants to sound 100% vintage, and not everyone wants the muddy notes that come out of some tube amps :smug:

15. IvanMike

IvanMike TTRPG enthusiast, Happy, Joyous, & Free. Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    grindy aside, (or maybe not) carefully bumping selected midrange frequencies (you will need to experiment) can cut thru like a hot knife thru butter. This can be done with almost any amp.

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Genz Benz GBE 750...

17. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i've got the ABM 500RC EVOII (rackmount in sexy chrome!), and it's awesome. i use it with an ampeg 610. it's got more lows than i need, and lots of tweakability besides that. i'm in a rock trio myself, and i generally have the mids boosted with some of the "grind" on. the treble and bass are pretty much flat.

i've also got some pedals before it, which help further tailor my exact sound.

i believe it's 575 watts, and sells for $899. a great solidstate/tube hybrid. sounds more expensive than it is.

18. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    +100 For the Mesa Mpulse and Big Block.

Definitely check out the Mesa Titan V-12. Should be hitting stores this month or next.

19. I was actually surprised by the terrible sound I was getting. I have had pretty good experiences using the clean channel on other GK heads (though I had never really tried the distortion/OD section too much) before, but man this combo was just terrible.

20. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Big thumbs up on all the GK recommendations!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021