Best Head for My New Epifani 310

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, May 18, 2003.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I've finally taken the plunge to move down to one cab and have an Epifani 310 on the way. I know relatively little about impedance and am curious whether the 150 watt at 8 ohms Trace head I'm using (it's all SS) will be ok to use with the cab, which is rate at 750watts at 5.3 ohms, or whether it's time to change units. Any advice I can get will be most welcome. Thanks!
    (BTW--anyone interested in a Trace head, 2x10, and 1x15 in excellent condition for $750?)
  2. Sorry but you'll need more power to make that cabnet open up. I have a 3x10 and tried my old GK 800RB (300?@ 8ohms). Anyway, it just didn't have enough power to get that cab to sing. I now have a preamp/ Stewart 2.1 and it's awesome. It takes alot to get it to distort.
  3. hurdygurdyman

May 11, 2003
    You'll need an amp that can run at 4 ohms. A speaker with a lower impedance than the amplifier can damage the amplifier. From what I understand, the other way around is ok,though.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i say get something thick and warm sounding.

i used a Kern IP777 on my last trip to the shop, and it's darker more tubey voice was a great compliment to the airy, hifi sense to the cabs. Nick Epifani used to use a similarly dark and warm Alembic F-1X before he developed his own preamp, to test his cabs, so that might be a good place to start.

when i tried my Demeter VTBP201s, its brighter voice became almost shrilly when i'd engage the brite boost, and what not.
  5. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I really appreciate your comments. I figured I'd have to go with a new head or a pre/power rig.
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    yeah what he said, except if I were to get real nitpicky the head would only have to be rated down to 5.3 ohms. When dealing with the 5.3 ohm impedance of the Epifani 3x10 it's probably easiest to just treat it as a 4 ohm cab.