Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best head for...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Aug 14, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ok so i bought teh aguilar 2x10 and 2x12. now i need a sweet head. should i do aguilar or shoudl i do the swr 4004 or an old school peavy x series mark 3. or something else. thanks. if it helps, i need an amp thats good with tapping and distortion, but not neccesarily at the same time.

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    bump...need some help

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ...best head for how much???

...and, what kind of sound are you after???

...and how much power do you need???

...and how many ohms are each cab???

4. The best head?

"Head is like pizza, when it's great it's great. And when it's not so good, it's still pretty great"-My old guitarist.

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    hahaha. thats good.

um that peavey setup looks pretty good, how much did that run you?

as far as my sound im looking for somethign wiht emaculate cleans, but when i throw i my distortion you know its there. and when i tap i could do it without (or with minimal use) of the boss lm-2b that i have. the cabinets are both 8 ohm. and enough to power for both....

6. I got my DPC used for $895. You can get them retail from any Peavey dealer for $1150 new. I bought my Max Bass Pre-Amp new (w/out foot switch) for $325. Figure in a 2 space SKB rack (you'll need a DEEP one as the DPC is 16'' deep) and patch chords you're looking around $1600. For an entire set-up that should weigh less then 25lbs (with rack) and dump out 1400 watts that's a pretty decent deal.

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    despite the price, thats pretty badass.