Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Head in the $500-$800 Range?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Masamax, Jun 19, 2004.

1. I am looking for a head in the $500-$800 range (with a little leeway of course) with enough power to be gigged with (thinking at least 400W at 4Ohms, preferably more).

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    WOW you'll have alot of choices...Insert almost all name brand heads here...seriously though it depends on your tastes. go to the local music store and try some out, with your guitar and cabs.

if you consider used gear you widen you choices alot!

3. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Used M-Pulse 600?

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Euphonic Audio iAmp 500

5. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    New or used in that range? I recently picked up an Eden WT-400 and a Music Man HD-500. Each was $550 shipped used. Both fantastic choices.

6. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I give damn good head for less than that!

Hmm... I'd recommend a used 400+ or SVT, or something similarly tubed out. If you want to go with solid state... hmm... maybe a used iAMP?

7. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    GK 1001RB-II. 700 watts. $649 inc shipping from Rik's Music!!

8. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    For that amount I'd get a BBE BMAx preamp and a good inexpensive power amp, such as: QSC, Carvin, Crown. You'd get more power and better sound for less money than $800. I bought my BMax from Riks Music and they gave me an unbelievable price. And I'm gonna get a Carvin DCM1500, which runs about $420 in the US, but probably the DCM1000 ($360) will be enough for the amount of power you want.

I hope this helped....

9. My problem as far as used gear is that I live in Canada. Used gear would have to be found in my own country unless I want to pay a crapload. I should also clarify SS would be prefered.

I prefer a punchy mid sound (to go with my SR). I run out of an Ampeg Portabass right, which is a SS that is punchy, but is also very smooth and has a lot of bass like most Ampegs. I am wondering if the SWR 8004 I was looking at would go well with a 5 string...?