Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Head Under a Grand?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nightfall, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Nightfall

Nightfall

Jun 3, 2002
    east coast
    I'm looking to replace my current head, and I'd be interested to hear your suggestions!

I currently have a GK 400RB head which has been a solid, reliable tank for 10 years now...but it's just not powerful enough. It was fine for a while, but I've just outgrown it. The gigs are getting louder and the venues are getting bigger. I'm assuming that I will need at least 350 watts or so.

I need to stay under $1000. I'm leaning towards Ampegs, though I don't know which model would be best (SVT3 Pro, SVT-350H, etc.).

Any thoughts?

My cabs are an old SWR Goliath I 4x10 and SWR 1x15.

Thanks!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Go the extra hundred and get a WT-800. You'll never buy another amp.

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    SWR sm400s

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I just got a brand new Ampeg SVT-350H for $289 because some floor troll knocked off a couple of the plastic tips on the EQ faders.

It's an OK amp, but it's pretty overpriced at its usual street price of around $650-$700. For that much, I want to see some more watts, or tubes, or something.

5. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    Your going to need more watts than the SVT3-Pro provides to push some air with two cabinets. Plus, the SVT3 only has one Speakon out. (The difference between the speakon our and the 1/4 outs are night and day.)

You may want to consider an SVP-Pro preamp (if you decide to go with Ampeg). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this preamp is the same one utilized in the SVT3 amplifier. Then you can get a separate power amplifier. You'll need information from someone else on this subject, but I've heard great stuff about QSC.

Just throwing another option out there.

I use an STV3 with a Goliath III, and I love it. But again, with two cabinets, it won't be enough.

6. Well first off... there is no such thing as "Best" for under $1000. ;) Alot depends on exactly what you're looking for. Could be power, clean power, tone, warmth, tonal flexability, portability, etc., etc.

From your post I'm assuming you like your tone but are running out of headroom. So why not add a killer power amp and maybe more speakers... for under $1000 you could add LOTS of power. Use your current head for smaller venues and when you are playing to a huge room, theater, or outdoors, just use the pre-portion of your current head, plug in the power amp and the extra speakers and lay em all dead (so to speak)!

7. FWIW, the pre-amps in the svt3's and svtP's (dunno about the BSP) are the same - argue with me if you want, but that's what St. Louis Music tells me on the phone :)

I would have to advise against the SVT3-Pro however. Not enough power - their rating is a myth. Believe me, I own one, hehe.

Greg

8. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    SWR Bass750

9. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    How much did you pay for yours?I was thinking about the Bass 750 or 750X but the cheap look of the 750x is making me think the subwave and overdrive aren't worth it.The Bass 750 looks/feels a lot more solid and since it is being discontinued I bet it can be had a pretty good price.

10. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    You can get a used Boogie 400+ for around a grand, or I got my F-1X and QSC for 650 total (395. for the pre, and 250.00 for the USA 850). It sounds killer and has plenty of headroom. I still pine for the 400+ though:D

11. Actually the svp is not the same preamp as the svt-3. The 3 has 3 tubes, while the svp has 5- it has the same preamp as the SVP-2.

12. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    ive hear good things about thecarvin 1000

13. According to Ampegs own webpage, both have 5 tubes, although the config is different. Like I said, you can call them and they'll tell you they are the same. Whether its a lie or not, who knows.

Greg

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Bass Place had some Hughes and Kettner BassBase 600 amps for well under a grand. That's extremely tough to beat as I think it's in a different class from the other amps mentioned here.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Buy a poweramp for ~$400

Then you have $600 to get, say, and Alembic Pre-amp, or a Demeter, heck for 600, I think you can get into an Aguilar preamp. Also Kern, I believe. I don't think it could get a whole lot sweeter...

16. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I don't think so... the Aguilar DB659 pre runs for about 700 something dollars.

17. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Cantstandsya ,
    Gard gave me a very good deal on the SWR Bass750. Give him a call and he can probably hook you up as well. Mine arrives tomorrow. There is a reason I posted it in the thread :)

-KB

18. mmm, best head under a grand eh? well, that should be pretty easy...

...let's see - there's Lindy-Lu-Maybelle, but she's... oh, hang on - you're talking about amplifiers - sorry, mate - I'm afraid I can't help you... :(

- Wil

19. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    If yoo're looking for an Aguilar pre-amp I have one for sale. Aguilar DB659. It is 18 months old. Just like new and would sell it for $600.00.