1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best headphone amp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paul4703, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Paul4703

Paul4703

Mar 19, 2007
    Hi,

I've just taken up the bass and would like to use a headphone amplifier to practice without disturbing the family. Looking for one that also has an auxilliary input to jam along to MP3s. Can anyone recommend a good unit (price isn't an issue)?

Thanks,

Paul.

2. I enjoy the Vox Bass amPlug. Obviously, make sure you have a decent set of headphones (I'll had to use those earbuds that come with the iPod on certain occasions and it wasn't a good sound).

http://www.voxamps.com/amplug/

3. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    I've been waiting for a review of the vox bass amplug.

4. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    korg pandora if you want an headphone amp.

Boss me20b if you want a pedalboard with that option

line6 ld15 if you want a small practice amp with that option

5. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
  6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I have a bunch of them. They all work great.

I have the Cafe Walter. It's awesome, but expensive.

I use the Vox AmPlug mostly, because it's portable. It weighs nothing. Just plug it into your bass and plug your headphones into it. You can run around the house if you want! By the way, I use the Guitar version not the Bass version (because when I bought it the Bass version wasn't available yet) and you can't tell that it's not a bass amp.

I also use the Dragonfly on occasion. It looks like a doctor's stethoscope. It works great, no batteries or electricity, but you get a lot of "noise" from the rubber tubes moving around and rubbing against each other.

7. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
  8. Icysquirrel

Icysquirrel

May 5, 2009
    What's the better of the 2 here for a headphone amp?

Vox amPlug Bass Headphone Amp
    or a
    Dean Bass in a Box Bass Headphone Amplifier

9. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Alot of people really like the Earwig.

Simple and effective.

You could also buy a tiny mixer for around $50 and get the job done as well.

10. Its production has been discontinued, but the Raven Labs pha-1 is pretty darn good. Pretty small, but packed with features.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    When in my office/practice space I use a Soundcraft Spirit Notepad mixer which can be had of ebay for less than $50. The headphone amp gets LOUD! Also it takes several inputs which is helpful. On the road I am a big fan of the Pandora's box though the headphone amp is ~just~ enough for the bass it ultimately get the job done and includes among other things a tuner and some drum loops.

I like the idea of the Raven Labs PHA-1 but they are really commanding a premium price in the used market which for a practice device I cannot pay. They sure like nice though!

12. deckard

deckard

Apr 4, 2003
    Seattle
    +1

Only one problem with the cafe walter:

it'll tell you EXACTLY what you sound like, warts & all.

I run my bass straight into it, then run my Bass Trainer in separately:

awesome!!!

:)

13. rodneyat

rodneyat Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    If your main goal is jamming with MP3's. I would go with the Tascam MP-BT1. You can use it as just a headphone/practice amp. Or, you can play along with MP3 that you load on it. I believe it has 1GB of storage. Which is plenty for most practice needs. Then, you can change keys, speed up/slow down the music that you load on it when you practice.

14. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    + 1. for Earwig MP3,Ipod,Computer or any aux out
    great tool for about 60.

15. Icysquirrel

Icysquirrel

May 5, 2009
    Im personally just looking for something that I can just use to practice my bass in silence. Dont need anything for mp3 or aux out.

16. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Tascam Bass Trainer - you can stick your mp3s on it and slow them down, loop sections, and filter out the bass. It also has built in effects!

17. MoBeach

MoBeach Guest

The Behringer 4 and 8 channel models work very well. Very versatile.

18. Someone smarter on this board suggested a Rolls PM351 (personal monitor) for about $95.. it will double as headphone stage monitors and a direct box.

if you play out, you can elminate your amp and go direct.. then adjust your own singing levels through the level controls... using something like this (headphones) has greatly improved my singing and fretless.

This is a direct box that also works for practicing.

Commonly I'll also use a Roland Cube with a laptop or Ipod.

I've tested using computer programs like Session (with an input box).. wasn't as pleased as I commonly will have an mp3 player running and want a quick plug in and test when walking by.

I used to have practice amps.. after you get used to it a headphone is a better family option.

For software a TBer turned me onto an opensource program called "Best Practice"

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/

Just about anything with a controllable aux in (or 2 inputs) will work... you shouldn't have to spend more than $50-100.. folks on tb will go on for hours how they love an obsolete gadget that was in the $100+ budget that only has a single purpose. - I've owned many of them - not conviced I was smart for spending the loot.

19. I have the Bass AmPlug. It works. About the size of a lighter. it runs on 2 AAA batteries. has three rollers: GAIN (input level); TONE( seems to roll off the highs); VOLUME (output volume). Also has two modes: Normal mode and Effect mode. the effect mode is a "fuzz" mode: makes the GAIN roller much more sensitive. This thing is a practice tool, not a tone monster! if you don't expect it to sound like your live rig then you wont be disappointed. it has an AUX IN jack that i plug my computer headphone out to and jam along to mp3s and whatever else my computer outputs. i use a 1/8 Inch male to male cable for that. ( http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102949 ). which can also be used from the headphone out on the AmPlug to the mic in on the computer for recording practices or output through your computer speaker system. Again NOT a tone monster but good silent practice tool.

20. I can tell you one I don't like. The Pocket Rocket. It is small and sounds pretty good, but it is made of crappy plastic and the built in 1/4" plug is adjustable, but extremely awkward. The left headphone took a crap after about a month's use. It is probably a good deal cheaper than other options. i got mine for $35, and despite the drawbacks, still use it.