Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Headphones for $50 or less

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Rodan, Jun 12, 2003.

1. I need to buy a new set of headphones, which I will be using to record on my 4-track, Cakewalk Sonar and possibly even to listen to other music with. My main purpose for these headphones will be to monitor music I will be recording, so I will want them to be as accurate as possible. Unfortunately, I only have about $50 bucks to spend.

I used to have a set of Senheiser HD432s that I liked a lot, but those are gone now:(

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you can tell me where I can get the pair you recommend, that would be very helpful too.

2. Senny HD212s. Great freq responce (12-19000), comfortable, good tone on pretty much everything, and they look cool too!!:D

You can get them pretty much anywhere, Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Musicians Friend, etc. And almost everyone has them for $49.99.

Rock on
    Eric

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I say some Grado SR-60's, for that price. While I like my HD-212 Pro's, they tend to be a bit bass heavy, as is common in closed cans. I'd go with the SR-60's or SR-80's depending on how much is available to spend.

Edit: I'd also like to suggest the Senn 497's too.

Headphone.com (aka headroom) is a good vendor for the lower priced headphones but tend to be a bit expensive for certain cans, like higher-end beyers and so forth.

4. Last year I needed another set of headphones immediately and didn't have time for mail order or to go to the nearest Guitar Center (140 miles distant) to find "good" ones. We have a Radio Shack nine miles from the house so went there to see if they might have something acceptable. I found a set of Radio Shack "Extreme Foldups" for thirty dollars that have been fantastic, good sound and more comfortable than any I have tried. I don't know how well they'd be received by someone who only wants to use the high end stuff, but considering what I paid for them, they are a great value. I use them all the time now.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Probably Koss PortaPro's. Last I knew, RS had been selling them with their name written over them.

Good cheap cans.

If you've got some $$ to boot, go with HFI 650 Trackmasters, for closed, portable cans that sound excellent.

6. m_stpierre

m_stpierre

Apr 10, 2003
    Maryland
    I'll be getting myself a couple of these soon.
    http://www.itrstudio.com/moreme.html

I haven't tried them out yet, but I've heard
    good things about 'em.

Metal construction, detachable cups, stereo/
    mono switch. $20.00 each!

Mike

7. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Have you guys tried the ones from Behringer? I need a pair for practicing purposes, mainly to hear the bass and the drum muchine, any suggestions? Thanks.