1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Headphones for $50 or less

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Rodan, Jun 12, 2003.

1. I need to buy a new set of headphones, which I will be using to record on my 4-track, Cakewalk Sonar and possibly even to listen to other music with. My main purpose for these headphones will be to monitor music I will be recording, so I will want them to be as accurate as possible. Unfortunately, I only have about $50 bucks to spend.

I used to have a set of Senheiser HD432s that I liked a lot, but those are gone now:(

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you can tell me where I can get the pair you recommend, that would be very helpful too.

2. Senny HD212s. Great freq responce (12-19000), comfortable, good tone on pretty much everything, and they look cool too!!:D

You can get them pretty much anywhere, Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Musicians Friend, etc. And almost everyone has them for $49.99.

Rock on
    Eric

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I say some Grado SR-60's, for that price. While I like my HD-212 Pro's, they tend to be a bit bass heavy, as is common in closed cans. I'd go with the SR-60's or SR-80's depending on how much is available to spend.

Edit: I'd also like to suggest the Senn 497's too.

Headphone.com (aka headroom) is a good vendor for the lower priced headphones but tend to be a bit expensive for certain cans, like higher-end beyers and so forth.

4. Last year I needed another set of headphones immediately and didn't have time for mail order or to go to the nearest Guitar Center (140 miles distant) to find "good" ones. We have a Radio Shack nine miles from the house so went there to see if they might have something acceptable. I found a set of Radio Shack "Extreme Foldups" for thirty dollars that have been fantastic, good sound and more comfortable than any I have tried. I don't know how well they'd be received by someone who only wants to use the high end stuff, but considering what I paid for them, they are a great value. I use them all the time now.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Probably Koss PortaPro's. Last I knew, RS had been selling them with their name written over them.

Good cheap cans.

If you've got some $$ to boot, go with HFI 650 Trackmasters, for closed, portable cans that sound excellent.

6. m_stpierre

m_stpierre

Apr 10, 2003
    Maryland
    I'll be getting myself a couple of these soon.
    http://www.itrstudio.com/moreme.html

I haven't tried them out yet, but I've heard
    good things about 'em.

Metal construction, detachable cups, stereo/
    mono switch. $20.00 each!

Mike

7. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Have you guys tried the ones from Behringer? I need a pair for practicing purposes, mainly to hear the bass and the drum muchine, any suggestions? Thanks.