Best headphones for bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by superfly, Sep 8, 2004.

1. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but this is where the people are at.
    What are the best headphones for "silent" bass practice I can get for $100 or less. Hopefully something I can pickup at the local "big box" music store, and not have to order. I'll be plugging into my SWR 4004.
  2. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Ironically, the best headphones i've ever had good for a nice bass sound were purchased at wal-mart.

It's called a Koss UR-15C.
  3. AKG 240S - the original studio headphones!
  4. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I love my Sony MDR 7506... $99.
  5. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own! Supporting Member

I use the Sony's as well. Excelent :hyper:
  6. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    I also love the Sony MDR-7506. I don't about local but you can probably find them online for $99.

7. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    A question I've often wondered too and have been meaning to ask. Also, is there anything that is noticably better for a little over $100 or will the above mentioned be all a person needs? For my needs, it will have to handle the low B string.
  8. you better make sure its a headphone slot and not a regular output slot or you'll blow em as soon as you sound a note...
  9. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Yes, stereo headphone slot. One reason I bought the 4004.
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I'm very curious as well. I'll be in the studio a lot this fall and mixing a lot at home, too, and I can get a pair of swank headphones from L&M through the school with the pgoram's educational discount.
  11. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    Hey Dre, my Eden has a headphone output on it so it would be no problem.
  12. ah cool, just watchin out for ya.

btw, whos dre?
  13. I, too, use the Sony MDR-7506 on a regular basis and really like it. Like most of the others, I paid $99.00USD for mine. For less money, I bought a set of Radio Shack "Extreme fold-ups" (now discontinued, of course) for around $35.00 a couple of years ago. The Radio Shack set works almost as well as the Sony.
  14. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002

Hey, sorry man, I got you confused with another person.
  15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'd first stay away from marketing claiming "Enhanced bass response" or anything of the type. Even if true and not a marketing gimmick (high-end brands have models voiced in different ways), I think naturally "flat" EQ response is a better way to go - you can always EQ more bass in other ways, and flat response is nice for studio monitoring, other sources, etc...

That being said, I love my Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs. I picked them up at during a MF sale (they're about $30 more now, but use Froogle to pricematch if ordering from or purchasing at GC) and they're wonderful not only for "silent" playing, but for listening to music as well. I'd forgotten how nice a great set of headphones were at enhancing a CD listening "experience" since I moved out and haven't had access to my Dad's. ;)
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member