1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Headphones for Phil Jones Bass Buddy ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jnewmark, Jan 1, 2016.

1. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I did a search through the Bass Buddy threads for this topic, but really did not find any specific suggestions. I really dig this little unit for learning tunes, straight from my computer. The headphones I have been using it with are ok, but they seem to have a " fuzzy " sort of after effect as I'm playing along. I've reduced the bass on the EQ to almost nil, with a little bump at 160 hz, everything else is flat. The headphones I am using are Sennheiser PX100-ll , and some Audio- Technica ATH-M30 phones. Both seem to have this effect. The manual suggests using headphones with a 16 - 60 ohm impedance, which, IIRC, the Sennheisers fall, not sure about the AT's. Is this just some effect of using headphones with the Bass Buddy, or do I need different phones ? I've tried different EQ settings, but the effect is still there. Listening to pre recorded music through the BB does not have this effect in both sets of phones until I start playing along. I switched to the Active input, thinking my Jazz might be a little hot, but then I fid myself having to turn up to hear myself playing along. Any suggestions, advice, etc. , welcome.

2. Have you thought about getting the Phil Jones headphones? I don't have a Bass Buddy, but I love my Grado SR125s for music and headphone practice.

Michael

Afc70 likes this.
  3. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Beyer Dynamic DT250. Clearest headphones I've had.
    Mine are over 12 years old and still look and sound like new.

4. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I have a couple pairs of Sony headphones that work well with it. I don't remember what model but one set was around $65 and the other set was around $100. Both sound good but the $100 set is worth the extra cash.

5. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    that one was suggested to me, but, at 250 ohm impedance, well over the recommended ohmage in the manual.

6. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    I'll check it out.

7. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Anybody else have any thoughts ? I know headphones have been discussed here, and I'm making my way through those threads, but I was hoping some BB users would chime in.

8. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    I have Audio Technica M50x headphones. I love them. I have never once questioned my decision to get them.

9. I believe my Audio Technica M30 headphones reproduce my bass' tone accurately enough for my ears.

10. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    I'm using Phil jones headphones with my Phil j bass buddy. They are quite comfortable and roughly $99, they sound great! I'm going direct @church and using the bass buddy as my headphone amp and direct box, it sounds very clean and pristine through the pj headphones.

LarryBama and jnewmark like this.
  11. ilike5's

ilike5's

Oct 13, 2014

12. ilike5's

ilike5's

Oct 13, 2014
    I have several headphones, but I always use the Phil Jones headphones. They were designed and built with bass reproduction as first priority. @ $100.00 per pair, it is a no brainer for me.-------Leon

velalv and LarryBama like this.
  13. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Sounds like I should get these phones. Have you ever noticed a sort of fuzziness to the tone with the BB ? I'm not talking fuzz tone sound, just a slight fuzzy after effect as you are playing.

14. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    No, I've never noticed any noises at all, just clean clear bass, they work great for me with my bass buddy, and at the price you can't go wrong imo.

15. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Beyer Dynamics DT770 80 ohm - a studio tracking classic. $200 but worth the money.

Guitarodeo likes this.
  16. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I will also vote for the Phil Jones H-850. I use them with my BigHead (practice amp!) as well as the out on my Peavey mixer. I also use them to listen to music when I don't want to disturb the mrs. They sound good and are nice and lightweight so you can wear them for hours. they sound better than a pair that I have that cost twice as much.

This guy likes them too, and he's got crazy audiophile taste$$$

A headphone designed by and for bass players - CNET

17. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    +4 on Phil's headphones. I use mine with a Café Walter - superb! :cool:

velalv and Afc70 like this.
  18. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I haven't used the bass buddy.

It sounds like you are overloading your headphones with the lower frequencies. When selecting a headphone, the lower the impedance, the more power the amp will deliver to them. Just like any transistor amp. So if you pick a good quality higher impedance headphone, it will resolve the distortion in the low end but the volume will be lower. I would go with a quality headphone that also is within their recommended impedance range.

19. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Well I took the plunge and got the Phil Jones headphones, and , happy to say that the buzz has gone away, and I'm hearing just my bass notes, clear and clean. Very comfortable headphones to wear, and I love the detachable cable. A little pricey, imho, but clearly, you get what you pay for if you want headphones made for bass guitar.

20. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    A detachable cable really is a handy feature on any headset.

Good to hear that it worked out.

jnewmark likes this.