Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best heavy gauge strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bigwig, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    Hi ya'll. I dont know much about different tunings. But with one of the bands im currently in, I've got my A, D and G strings all tuned down one fret from strandard, and my E string tuned down 3 frets from standard.
    The medium/light guage strings that are currently on my bass just wont cut it, since im getting insane amonts of rattle from that E string.
    Im wondering what are the best kind of strings to get for what im tunning in.
    Thanks alot.

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You may want to try a 110 E string.

3. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    would that be thick enough?
    and should i stick with medium gauge for the other three strings?

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Try out some light guage (say .120-.40) 5 string sets and use the bottom 4 strings :bassist:

5. Do you know what gauges you use now? I know a guy who plays drop C tuning with medium gauge strings, .105, and it works. Or like you say try a heavy set (.110).

6. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    Right now Im just using standard ernie ball super slinkies, but I'm definatly going to go with the 110 E string I think, I just want it to be nice and tight. The rattling kills me.

7. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Another option is tuning all the way down to B-E-A-D, and use a 5 string set, but just discard the G string. You may need a new nut or at least have yours reslotted.