Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Heavy Metal Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BlackRoseRocker, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Ok, so youve got the big debate about who the best rock bassist ever was/is. How about the best bassist from heavy metal? Surely you cant forget guys like Steve Harris and Geezer Butler people! In my opinion its gotta be Steve Harris, his galloping style is what makes heavy metal kick ass - just listen to The Wicker Man or Number of the Beast. Anyway, thats my view, how about you lot?

2. I'd put my vote in for Steve Harris as well.

With songs like: Wrathchild, Phantom of the Opera, Hallowed be Thy Name, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Number of the Beast, The Prisoner, The Trooper, Run to the Hills, Heaven Can Wait, Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner...the list goes on, you really can't go wrong.

3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Another vote for Steve Harris here I guess...I don´t know that many heavy metal bassists, though..

4. yeah i agree with steve harris too

i also dig duff (if that's a style of metal or hard rock?)

i also heard that the guy from man-o-war is pretty good - is it flight of the bumble bee?

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I have said it before and here I am, saying it again - Beefcake the Mighty of the band GWAR is by far the best metal bassist and my favorite bass player. He is the reason I do what I do. If only I could duplicate his sound...

6. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Jason Newsted of course - his Metallica lines might not be that great, but he is WAY underrated...

David

7. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'll add Steve DiGorgio and Sharlee D'Angelo to the list.

8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Yeah, Steve DiGiorgio and Alex Webster are great..But does John Myung fit in here..?

9. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Myung does fit for the sole fact that the first Dream theater LP was metal. hehehe

10. Steve Harris all the way, although on Dream Theater's heavier stuff ("6:00," "Dance of Eternity," "The Mirror/Lie," etc.) John Myung makes a case for himself as the new Steve Harris. Of course, since Myung says that Harris is his hero and primary influence, it makes sense...

11. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    JOdy Henry from Omen...listen to any old Omen LP, he was awesome.

Also the guy from Axehammer

holy crap, how could I forget peter crane from sacred rite? www.mp3.com/sacredrite

12. I can't believe no one has mentioned Cliff Burton. He gets my vote anyway.

13. rubber chicken

rubber chicken Guest

Apr 7, 2001
    colorado
    everyone is posting all these old bassists that i've never heard of (being an uneducated 14 year old)! and what's an lp?

another vote for cliff burton-i can't believe how many of you forgot the poor man.

14. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    an LP is a vinyl record...i still use that term, even for a CD :)

15. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Wow,that was the LAST thing I expected to read!Axehammer was a great band...feels good to see that people still remember them!Nice one,Sean

16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Steve Harris-Iron Maiden(pretty much a given)
    Joey DeMaio-Manowar(way underrated)
    Tim Hansen-Mercyful Fate,Kind Diamond(early years)
    Sharlee D'Angelo-Mercyful Fate,King Diamond(later years)

17. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    YES!How have I forgotten him...Seeing the above answers,I thought I had no-one to add,but Joey definately rules!And what a composer...he was.Bridge of Death is one of the greatest songs in metal history-not to mention Blood of my Enemies,Battle Hymn,Mountains,Hail and Kill,Defender...I know they are kinda @$$holes,and that's wgy he is underrated IMO,but no other band ever created this feeling...and I don't think that any band will avhieve it in the future,either!

-Grandpa...who were they?
    -They...were the METAL KINGS!!!

18. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Gotta go with Cliff. Although, and I don't mean to sound partial to Metallica, Newstead did some great stuff with Flotsam and Jetsam.

19. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Although I haven´t listened a lot to Manowar, I have to say that he´s underrated..I LOVE Sting Of The Bumblebee:cool: