Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best High End amp for 1000ish

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vacant, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Vacant

Vacant

Dec 27, 2004
  2. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    You're somewhat limited. I'm right around your budget and have been looking into this as well (though I'm aiming more at a 2x10 than the half stack). The higher-end heads are mostly out of the picture. You can pick up an Ashdown MAG head for a pretty good price and riksmusic.com has the GK 1001 RB-II for $600. As for cabs, if you're looking at 4x10's you're probably sticking with either Avatar or Dr. Bass. Cab prices will shoot up if you start straying from those two.

Come to think of it, Avatar's got a deal on an Ashdown MAG 300 head for $288 if you buy one of their cabs. That and $359 for a 4x10 Neo would put you well under your budget.

Another thought is a QSC power amp, SanAmp preamp and a cab from the previously mentioned makers. You'd be pushing plenty of power out of that setup.

If you've got the patience, I'd suggest trying to buy used. Don't know Mesa's pricing so I can't really comment on them.