1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best High End Digital Amp Aguilar vs berg vs darktoneglass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DEMETRI, May 3, 2021 at 10:48 AM.

1. DEMETRI

DEMETRI

Mar 6, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I have been out of the loop for a while and curious what people think are the best available lightweight amps these days regardless of cost.. I only need about 500 watts so I have been looking at:
    Aguilar Tone Hammer 500
    Darktoneglass microtubes 500 II
    Bergantino Forte D
    or if theres something else I should consider I'd love to know about it.

I play funk and Rnb so really just interested in a thick funky tone .. I'll be paring it with a epifani ultalight III 2x10, and I play jazz basses

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The Bergantino is the only "digital" amp on your list.

3. DEMETRI

DEMETRI

Mar 6, 2008
    Los Angeles
    yes you are right .. really what i meant is lightweight.. digital or not

4. agedhorse may not be able to recommend his own designs but you should also consider Mesa heads. If I could afford one I'd love a Mesa D800+.

5. DEMETRI

DEMETRI

Mar 6, 2008
    Los Angeles
    thanks for the suggestions yeah the mesa stuff looks cool.. i need to check out that D800 also. I wish there was a shop that had all the high end stuff in town.. the amp shop has a few but not everything. the genzler magellan is on my list as well

6. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    Do you pretty much find a sound and stick with it throughout a show, or do you adjust based on the song/set?

Do you prefer a simple interface or are you cool with lotsa knobs and switches?

The D800 and D800+ are different heads, just to quash any potential confusion. Would definitely recommend the + if possible. That HPF is really nice.

I have the Mesa TT800 and the Aguilar TH500. They are both fantastic, and obviously different.

Basically Bob and rodl2005 like this.
  7. DEMETRI

DEMETRI

Mar 6, 2008
    Los Angeles
    i tend to stick with one sound.. and i tend to like as many features as possible and more complex interfaces, but im ok with a simple one too.. thats not as much of a factor.. ultimately tone is number 1 for me. i like the features of the forte d and the microtubes II on paper, but i know nothing replaces playing these things to see for yourself.. but since i cant find them all locally i wanted to at least hear from the cats here what people are thinking is the best of the best regardless of price. but i refuse to buy anything big and heavy.. too old for carrying that shiat these days.. ha

musicman556 likes this.
  8. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    Gotcha. If tone tweaking is your delight, Mesa WD800.

I asked about the sounds this because the Mesa TT800 has two distinct channels, a more vintage-rock voiced Boogie channel, and a more modern Subway channel. Both are great, imho.

The TH500 is a different beast, with just a few simple controls. The interaction between the Gain and Drive knobs is unlike anything else you've played and give you a wide variety of tones. Once you're used to it, you can get right where you want to be very quickly just by adjusting those two knobs.

I absolutely know how hard it is to find things in stock in one place. I had to buy my Mesa blindly from Sweetwater. You'd think that MUSIC CITY USA would have a Mesa dealer. It doesn't. :meh:

9. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Mesa WD 800… (drops mic, walks away).

Edit: but also play a TT800, and had a D800 for a long time. So, IMO, you won’t go wrong with any of the Mesa/Boogie heads. They’re all great.

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 11:16 PM
    agedhorse likes this.
  10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Naishhhh is probably more a 7ender and Ampeg kind of town, or perhaps, for those who cart around large racks full of preamps/compressors/Pultec type EQs, etc.

11. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    You may want to see what works well with your speaker if you have the opportunity to do so. IMO amp and speaker are two equal halves of the tone equation. IME I own a WD800 Mesa and it is a great amp. I haven't experienced a plethora of amps and tend to find my tone and stay there. If I were shopping today I would look at the TT800 Mesa. The boogie channel intrigues me and is probably right up my alley tonally. I like what Mesa is doing for bass amplification.

agedhorse likes this.
  12. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I don't understand your input. All of these are class D amps. And digital amps don't exist right?

13. duncmill

duncmill

Jan 27, 2011
    Class D does not mean the amps are digital. There's lots of confusion because folks tend to assume "D" always means digital these days.

SJan3 and baxter_x like this.
  14. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    That's mainly the reason why I don't really get Agedhorse reply

15. duncmill

duncmill

Jan 27, 2011
    I think the Bergantino amp offers a lot of digital tone shaping but I really don't know much about them.

baxter_x likes this.
  16. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Ok! Then I understand his input now.

17. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    New England
  18. Thick tone for Funk and R n' B? I'd go with Aguilar.

19. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
  20. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Howell, Michigan
    Bugera BV1001T Veyron Tube Bass Amplifier Head ... best value by far 2,000 watts / $450
    Glockenklang
    Peavey 1,000 watt .... I personally own and use $399 used
    GR bass ... new comer and great tone

GlassToMouth likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021