1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best high-gain amp distortion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sound Chaser, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    That pretty much says it all. Looking for an amp with a bare minimum of 300 watts (preamps good too) with an incredibly saturated distortion built in. Like John Myung or Billy Sheehan, I guess. A nice fat clean tone is a bonus as well.

Thanks!

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Ampeg SVT-BSP + Power Amp

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

Mesa Boogie BB750 or Titan V-12.

4. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Had a BSP, was way too noisy (which makes me sad).

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Aguilar AG500, or any other pre/amp combined with their AGRO unit.

6. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Does anyone have clips of the aguilar or mesa distortions?

7. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Any new suggestions are still more than welcome.

8. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    AG500 distortion clip

http://www.freighterband.com/AG500demo.mp3

and check Basstasters for an overdriven Walkabout - for an idea of how a Mesa clips - though I doubt the larger models with a built- in clipping stage would respond the same.

Also check out the GK 2001RB. Hunt down a clip of the GK Diesel Dawg as it's essentially the OD circuit in the 2001RB

9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1

10. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    That had no relevant information about Myung at all, and of course I know what Sheehan uses but trying to find a pearce guitar preamp is too much effort. I prefer equipment made by companies that still exist, so if it breaks I can fix it.

11. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I get a nice heavy distorted sound running my stingray into my GK2001RB with the boost cranked and the gain only half way up on the distortion channel... not sure if it's the tone you're after, but I like it.

12. +1 for the Big Block 750...I've got a bit of gas for that one myself...:meh:

13. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Missed this one before I posted. I've heard great things about the diesel dawg, so that might be a great way to combine the GK's distortion sound with the clean sound of your choice. Plus it'd only run ya 150 new.

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Best and easiest high-gain distortion is side-chained or crossovered ultragain guitar combo with a footswitch - tube or Peavey Transtube.

15. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I will post some clips of the SVP PRO soon.
    Also, G&L or EBMM basses help but don't answer your question.

The B series Ampeg distortion is horrable to me, but very much billy sheehan. Maybe a B-4 ... I think that is the one with build in distortion.
    have you tried an Ampeg SVT3 or SVT6 pro?

Any ampeg tube amp turned up. There is an awesome SVT2(nonpro) for sale at $850 on someone elses thread and that might do the trick.

I don't care for GK, kinda brittle, but then again, I think sheehan tone is brittle.
    Sansamp PBDDI? that worked great for me, but it is not what you seem to want.

Hope that ramble helps,
    Jonathan

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

A Tech21 LandMark will do a fine job at this.
    You can even set one channel clean and the other distorted.
    [​IMG]

17. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    :eyebrow:

I think that might be the answer.

18. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    I see a Line 6 in your gear list.
    Have you crawled through the pits of "EDIT" with the SVT, Bassman, and the MESA models?
    The tone controls and graphic can set your "bottom" and the DRIVE set to be just on the edge(play normal=fairly clean, play harder=over the edge into dirtland). If you want MORE than that....1st set it up as above and add compression and the distortion pedla model of your choice. The DOES make my Greco LP sound like it's running through a MESA on 13! Park that in a separate channel to use as a kill tone.

The BEST distortion I've EVER heard live was Amy of Clatter in a Houston club with the clean SWR/Henry 8x8 and a MESA Triple Rectifier set to kill. Unreal sound. It is captured on the 1st CD quite nicely: http://www.clatter.com/pages/blinded.html

19. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY

THAT is exactly what I was looking for.

:hyper:

Gracias

20. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    If you want that sound but better, run an svp-bsp in stereo. The distortion is better and if you don't have the extra speakers or amp, you can run it in mono with the two sounds blended for now.