1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best hollow/semi hollow to tour with? (Preferably under 1000)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fat_Lenny906, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Fat_Lenny906

Fat_Lenny906

Feb 23, 2019
    Nashville
    first post here, although I’m always reading threads.

I tour a lot, probably around 70% of the year. We play for lack of a better term indie rock and up until now all I’ve ever needed has been a p bass. New songs are calling for some kind of hollow body, and there are lots of options I’m not too familiar with. I love the thumpy sound and intend to put flats on it. In the studio I played one of the 60s Gibson ones and loved it. Ashamed I don’t remember the model number but it was too expensive and I don’t know if I want to bring a vintage guitar on tour with me. Currently looking at the hofner vt 500/7 ss and guild starfire II. Also the hagstrom Viking and italia mondial have caught my eye but those I don’t know nearly as much about. I want it to be able to hold up on the road though. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

chupacerveza likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Jack Casady ftw imho ymmv.

MAJOR METAL, cdef, 12BitSlab and 8 others like this.
  3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I'd use my Hofner Ignition Club bass.

4. FloridaTim

FloridaTim

May 29, 2013
    Kissimmee, FL
    Casady

bholder and Nunovsky like this.
  5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I have never played one, but I have always had a soft spot for Ibanez Artcore. Around $300 used, so beat it up on the road without fear.

F460B441-EF37-4115-8749-9ABF4DEEDDD6.png

6. Fat_Lenny906

Fat_Lenny906

Feb 23, 2019
    Nashville
    Not a fan of the look of the viola style hofner bass, I know looks are pretty low in priority but really not a fan. Anyone have experience with the Eastwood guitars classic 4? The limited edition green looks beautiful and I’ve heard good things...

chupacerveza likes this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Reverend Dub King...$999.
    Some of the best stock pickups made...right up there with the G&L MFDs...and the people at Reverend give you a lot for the money.
    Everything else is off the radar.
    I know there are others from different companies, but I can't quite think of any.
    gvhmf0lsyd7osxmua1ig-jpg-cf-3.jpg

Rezdog, chupacerveza and bholder like this.
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    DC-59 1.JPG Here ya go. Danelectro DC 59. I'd recommend a Pro model, like mine. It has real bass-sized tuners instead of the traditional Dano's little guitar-sized ones, and an actual easily intonatable bridge. The traditional Dano bridge will intonate - I have one or two of those, as well - but, the Pro bridge is just... better, in that respect. And, the newer Korean-made Danos are tough, well made basses; so are the first generation Korean ones (like this one). Just take reasonable care of it, and it will last you roughly forever...:cool:

9. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Jack Casady

lowendrv likes this.
  10. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I second Charlie Monroe's vote for the Ibanez Artcore. The Casady bass is great but is kind of a one trick pony and to me doesn't have the "hollowness" that the OP may be looking for. The Ibanez on the other hand is almost Hofner like. I've used one for years and found it to be very versatile.

chupacerveza likes this.
  11. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I toured the entire festival season of 2014 with my Epi Jack Casady signature... in a gig bag! Granted it was well-padded, but the bass was solid. Only tweaked the truss-rod once, despite going from NY down to the Florida Keys, then all the way up to Northern Michigan, and back to NY. I'm pretty finicky when it comes to having neck relief and setup just right, so that speaks volumes. Hipshot bridge is a highly recommended upgrade and then you're good to go!

Fat_Lenny906, lowendrv and Nunovsky like this.
  12. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Love my Casady because it sounds great (Pyramid Gold Flats) and is 34” scale. Many hollow/semi-hollow basses are short or medium scale.

Nunovsky likes this.
  13. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    You can tour with any bass if you take care of it.

Nunovsky likes this.
  14. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    One more vote for the Casady. Sounds and looks great and will be a bit sturdier than a full hollow.

15. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If you want 34" scale, the Casady is great, but so is the DiPinto Belvedere. It's out of production and thus difficult to find, but the tone is outstanding. It has two hot single coil pickups that provide some cut and growl along with the semi-hollow "thud." I played it on several gigs and it was solid. The neck was very stable, and it had nice low action. Ernie Ball flats sounded great on it.

Otherwise, I love the Guild Starfire and Reverend Dub King.

16. Fat_Lenny906

Fat_Lenny906

Feb 23, 2019
    Nashville
    Hey yall just wanted to put here that I ended up getting one of the Guild Starfire II reissues... and I LOVE it man, so comfortable to play and sounds great

Attached Files:

two fingers and silentmike like this.
  17. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    SAM_0154.JPG
    Replace tuners and bridge and you have winner.

18. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Chowny CHB1 or CHB2?
    Warwick Star Bass?

19. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Hof.jpg

This is my vote

Fat_Lenny906 likes this.
  20. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    IME, semi-hollow basses (most likely hollow basses too) are best when equipped with piezo pickups to get that woody warm tone they're best at.

The Ibanez SR Aerium series get my vote. These are semi-hollow basses with piezo pickup only which available in 4 and 5 strings, as well as fretted and fretless configurations.

p_region_SRH505F_NNF_1P_03_en_1.png SRH500_DEF_1P_03.png

Another best feature is that they are lightweight. I have the 5 string fretted version which weighs only at 3.05 kg (6 lb 11.6 oz). No hassle at all wearing it in long hour gigs. Very much tour friendly.

And they are definitely under $1,000.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021