Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best inexpensive bass from a 'prestige' company

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LA, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Fender MIM Standard (P or J-bass)

60 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. Fender Squire

11 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. MusicMan OLP

10 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. MTD Kingston

60 vote(s)
    17.5%
  5. Warwick RockBass

25 vote(s)
    7.3%
  6. Lakland Skyline

113 vote(s)
    33.0%
  7. Gibson Epiphone

6 vote(s)
    1.8%
  8. Other

21 vote(s)
    6.1%
  9. conklin groovetools

36 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    So what's the best "knockoff" of a prestige name, in your opinion?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Believe you me, the Kingstons and Skylines are not "knockoffs." They are incredible intruments with only slightly less quality materials than their bigger brothers.

3. I think the Laklands I think are a bit out of the range for what I would consider a "knockoff" -- the Kingston is more in line with what I would expect to pay for something that's not a top-of-the line bass.

That said, I think it's perfectly possible to get a good second-line instrument in the lower price range. Later additions can make these basses really good or even great ... though I'll grant that the potential for being a truly great instrument may reside always with first-line instruments.

I have a six-year old MIM Jazz that I love. It suits my needs and, since I don't have the money to put toward a top-line instrument, it gets the job done. But I am slowly customizing it to make it better ... and one day I will buy a top of the line bass. :)

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a MIM Fender Jazz and a Lakland Skyline. The MIM is a good instrument, but the Lakland is an amazing instrument, as good as some that cost $1000 more. Since I got the Lakland, I hardly touch my other 7 basses.

5. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    You're right. I'll try to choose my words more carefully next time.

6. Dude, its all about conklin. These instruments are so good for their price that it makes me scared of what the handmade customs are like.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i second that. with the groove tools basses being about the price of the laklands (less!), i think they smoke anything in their price range.

8. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    ditto for Conklin. Very nice 4 ans 5 string basses.

9. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    And 7! Yeah, Conklin GTs rock, which is basically because they mimic great custom instruments... Skylines are second to them within this poll IMO

10. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hey, are we talking about inexpensive (less than $500-$400) or medium priced basses?????? because I don´t consider Skylines as "inexpensive" basses, they are great and all, but the don´t fit in that category...... I voted for fender, sice I´ve never played a Rockbass

11. The GTs are nice but do they make 6s?

12. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    my vote is for the conklin :D

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yes, I believe the you can get Groove Tools in 4, 5, 6, and 7 string models.

14. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    i recently got the conklin gt catalog and it doesnt have 6's. i was wondering why and if they do make them how come they dont put them in their catalog?

15. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I voted Fender as I haven't played any of the others in the list. I must say that some of the MIM J's can outperform their more expensive brethern.

Dan

16. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    sure conklin makes 6 strings...just not groove tools :p

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Not in the Groove Tools line.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Actually, while it's not in any stores I've seen yet, Conklin does have a 6-string Groove Tools bass. It's the Marco Mendoza model (GTMM-6). If you look in the artist's profile section on the Conklin website, you'll see him there.

BTW, my vote is for Conklin Groove Tools as well.

19. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    For a bass between $400 and $500, the Kingston is great. The light weight and great fretwork make it a joy to play. The pickguard is pretty goofy (and probably a necessity, since the body is soft basswood), but so what?

It's cheap enough to qualify as an impulse buy, but I don't think you'll suffer too much from buyer's remorse if you get one.

20. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I voted MIM Fender. Although I don't have much experience with them, my second choice would be Gibson's Epiphone.