1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best inexpensive combo or head+cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Moi_, Oct 12, 2019 at 4:38 PM.

1. Moi_

Moi_

Aug 4, 2015
    Hello everyone!

In a previous thread, I asked about the best cabinet to use for home practice. I've been thinking about it, and moving the amp head back and forth, disconnecting cables routinely would not render the whole solution inefficient, cumbersome and tiresome.

So I'm leaning towards buying the best combo to practice at home for about less than $200 (unless there's a marvelous combo for $201, I'm trying to keep costs below that price). Is a 10 inch speaker better than 8 inches? I value sound quality over loudness.

I wonder if anyone has suggestions beyond pages like: 8 Best Bass Guitar Amplifiers Under $200 (2019 Review) - Constantine Guitars
    Best Bass Amps Under $200

2. bass4more

bass4more Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    I don't own one, but in that price range the Fender Rumble 40 combo gets a lot of love around here.

dramatwist, theduke1 and Moi_ like this.
  3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Id prefer a 10" over a 8"
    Efficiency would be rather low for both.
    for home it doesnt really matter.

having a practice rig and possibly trying to cover a low volume gig or a drummer for fun jam in the future.

id shoot for a 1x15 combo.

I dont have any new suggestions.
    Id find a early used Ampeg BA115 or a 1x15 Peavey TNT150 and call it a day.
    i dont have any need for warranty and those ancient combos will outlive anything new.

the basic eminence speakers in the Ampeg or the Black Widows in the peavey sound way better to me than a cheapo newer rumble combo
    which is the latest turd that everyone seems to love.
    look great, and super light. just turd speakers really
    wont last long in the long run. something new with warranty means nothing

Monterey Bay-ss and 12BitSlab like this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Rumble is the best bang for the buck, next is GK.

bhendrix likes this.
  5. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I purchased an Ampeg BA110v2 and I'm very happy with it.
    It's heavier than the Rumble but I prefer its tone. I've used it every day for a couple of years now and it's been very reliable. Plenty of amp for practice and would likely cut a low volume/acoustic gig.

6. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

Older US-made Peavey TNT if you don’t mind heavy, TKO if you want something lighter. You should have about half your budget remaining; get a quality cable and a quality set of strings, or if you’re already set for those, get a fun pedal :bassist:

bhendrix likes this.
  7. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Here's how I see it. First, I won't buy any gear that I can't gig. Period. The end. That means if I do buy a combo amp it's going to either be gigable on its own or it has to be able to drive a second cab so that it is. Me, I like to have 2-3 cabs around. One for a small gig, two for a bigger one, maybe a third for a really big show. Or, just keep two at rehearsal and one at home.

And I like to have two amps as well. What if you have a big show and your gig rig craps out? I never have to worry because I have a second amp that is gigable! What if I have a speaker cab blow up? No problem I have more than one, and they're all gigable.

Also, don't buy a combo amp. But if you do buy a combo amp, do not buy one with anything smaller than a 10" speaker in it. One 8" speaker does not reproduce the sound of the bass guitar. One 10" speaker may do so if it's in a decent cabinet, but it will not do so at rock ensemble volume. So do not buy a combo amp that will not accept a second speaker.

If you're going to buy a cheap practice amp with an 8" driver in it, do yourself one better and just get a headphone amp. That's what it'll sound like anyway.

If all my advice sounds expensive, it may not be as expensive as you think. Obviously buy used. And shop around. Remember: buy once, cry once.

Your mileage may vary. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. Frequent heartburn may be a sign of a more serious problem. See your doctor.

Moi_ likes this.
  8. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    "Best" is subjective at best.;)
    Since I use an Acoustic 360. I picked up and Acoustic B15 in Austin, TX for $30.00... works for me for living room, playing with a couple of others on acoustic.
    (How many times can I say "acoustic" in one post?):roflmao: