Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best instructional videos/books for jazz...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Feb 9, 2005.

1. I'm looking for the best instructional videos or books on jazz techniques and theory for the bass. I need to expand my mind by learning more! :smug:

2. At the risk of being repeatative.......... :D

www.jazzbooks.com

Good starting place is volume 54, and get the companion book of transcribed basslines by Tyrone Wheeler to go with it. It has some good starter tunes, and a good suggested discography.

Plus they have many books on bass technique too, though mostly aimed at the upright player.

.....Jim

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Rufus Reid's - "Evolving Bassist" series - book and DVD now - are generaly reckoned to be the best intro to Jazz bass playing.

John Goldsby's Jazz Bass Book is really a series of articles, but there's a lot of good stuff in there!

Aebersold books are a good practice aid - but they're not really teaching you about playing Jazz bass.....?

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Learn to play tunes and copy other peoples basslines... Aebersold.

Figure out how walking basslines are constructed... Ed Friedland's Building Walking Basslines book. This cannot be done without learning the tunes.

5. I actually play along with CDs already. Spyro Gyra, Rippingtons, Bella Fleck. . . .[yeah right, I sit and listen trying to play along :spit: ], Jaco, etc. , but I need to learn how some of the jazz techniques and theory are laid out and why they go where they do sometimes. I have a pretty good idea, just need some backing up.

I appreciate some of the suggestions. I will look for those items. Where though? Online, . . . . Barnes and Noble store?

Oh, feel free to continue adding suggestions. I heard that The Improvisors Bass Method is a good book as well.

6. LARUMBLE

LARUMBLE

Feb 11, 2005
    i find bunny brunnel's books very effective..

mel bay complete bass essentials/technique books..

also,building rock bass lines,building walking bass lines and expanding bass lines books...
    led zepplin songbooks........ :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Errrr, were you being so "hyper" , you forgot to read the title of this thread...? :meh:

So we're talking about videos/books for Jazz!!

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

This book has been recommended here so many times by myself and others that it seems repetitious to mention it yet again, but I don't think you can beat "The Jazz Theory Book" by Mark Levine, published by Sher Music and is costly at $38, but worth every cent if you apply yourself with the meaty information contained therein.

I also second the motion of he who suggested Ed Friedland's "Walking Bass ", both volumes. But even if you study only the first volume, you will be glad you did. Friedland's books come with CDs. Levine's book does not.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany