1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best J-bass passive PU

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowblues, Jun 16, 2002.

1. What is this groups feeling on the best J-bass passive PU? Just fishing for info.

Andy

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Can't beat Bartolini, in my opinion. I put a set of 9J's in my MIM Jazz, and they're wonderful.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Bart's are great, but IMO they can be a bit weak in a passive bass. It seems like they were designed to be used with a preamp.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got passive barts in my fretless Curbow. It's a mahogany body witha rosewood neck and fretboard, and it sounds absolutely huge with flats. While Barts are usually paired with a preamp , they are still passive pickups. The Jeff Berlin signature bass comes with passive Barts.

That said, if youa re looking for the best Jazz pickup, check out Fralins. They are $160 for a set directly from him. I recently got a set for my MIA 75 reissue to go with my JRetro, and I have to say, the passive option sounds so good, I don't find myself using the preamp much. You can even have them wound to your specs. I had mine wound 5% hotter than Fender's vintage specs, and these things kick serious booty.

Dave Siff just recently picked up a custom Curbow Jazz bass with the first set of Fralin humbucking Jazz pickups in it. He also had his wound 5% hotter than Fenders, and it also sounds amazing, and no buzz when the bridge pickup is soloed. These were quite a bit more expensive than the single coils, though. And, I don't know if he is offering them as an option, or if they were an experiment.

Oh, I also tried a Van Zandt bridge pickup in my Jazz. It sounded great by itself, but I had a cheaper neck pickup paired with it, so I can't give a full report on how a matched set of Van Zandt's would have sounded. I sold it to help finance the Fralins, but if you can run across a pair, you probably wouldn't be disappointed.

Sorry for the long post. :)

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Sadowsky single coil J's.

I was playing my sadowsky in passive mode today & it sounded great with out the pre amp!!!!! :)

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I rather like my DiMarzio DP-123s (Model J). A lot of bang for the buc.

7. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

take a look at Bill Lawrence J-45's.

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have a Bart 9J in my Rick Turner, and Fender CS 60s in my Jazz. I tend to agree that Barts really need a preamp to shine. I am VERY pleased with Fender CS 60s - they sound great passive, and absolutely awesome with a J-Retro.

9. what is the Fralin website?

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    www.fralinpickups.com

11. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
  12. I am very happy with the Basslines STK-J1. These are stacked humbuckers, classic J-bass sound without the hum. Output is a bit low, would benefit from a preamp.