Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best J-bass passive PU

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowblues, Jun 16, 2002.

1. What is this groups feeling on the best J-bass passive PU? Just fishing for info.

Andy

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Can't beat Bartolini, in my opinion. I put a set of 9J's in my MIM Jazz, and they're wonderful.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Bart's are great, but IMO they can be a bit weak in a passive bass. It seems like they were designed to be used with a preamp.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got passive barts in my fretless Curbow. It's a mahogany body witha rosewood neck and fretboard, and it sounds absolutely huge with flats. While Barts are usually paired with a preamp , they are still passive pickups. The Jeff Berlin signature bass comes with passive Barts.

That said, if youa re looking for the best Jazz pickup, check out Fralins. They are $160 for a set directly from him. I recently got a set for my MIA 75 reissue to go with my JRetro, and I have to say, the passive option sounds so good, I don't find myself using the preamp much. You can even have them wound to your specs. I had mine wound 5% hotter than Fender's vintage specs, and these things kick serious booty.

Dave Siff just recently picked up a custom Curbow Jazz bass with the first set of Fralin humbucking Jazz pickups in it. He also had his wound 5% hotter than Fenders, and it also sounds amazing, and no buzz when the bridge pickup is soloed. These were quite a bit more expensive than the single coils, though. And, I don't know if he is offering them as an option, or if they were an experiment.

Oh, I also tried a Van Zandt bridge pickup in my Jazz. It sounded great by itself, but I had a cheaper neck pickup paired with it, so I can't give a full report on how a matched set of Van Zandt's would have sounded. I sold it to help finance the Fralins, but if you can run across a pair, you probably wouldn't be disappointed.

Sorry for the long post. :)

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Sadowsky single coil J's.

I was playing my sadowsky in passive mode today & it sounded great with out the pre amp!!!!! :)

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I rather like my DiMarzio DP-123s (Model J). A lot of bang for the buc.

7. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

take a look at Bill Lawrence J-45's.

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have a Bart 9J in my Rick Turner, and Fender CS 60s in my Jazz. I tend to agree that Barts really need a preamp to shine. I am VERY pleased with Fender CS 60s - they sound great passive, and absolutely awesome with a J-Retro.

9. what is the Fralin website?

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    www.fralinpickups.com

11. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
  12. I am very happy with the Basslines STK-J1. These are stacked humbuckers, classic J-bass sound without the hum. Output is a bit low, would benefit from a preamp.