1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

best J pickup for rock

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funkedupbass, May 28, 2005.

1. I'm looking for the best J pickup to give me that rock/dirty/growly/agressive/but still smooth/ ability sound sound when played via fingers, with good output/quiet.
    I'm looking into the bartolini 9k's, the seymour duncs antiquity 2's, Bill Lawrence j-45 or the dimarzio dp-123 model J.
    And wether or not I should go active with these or not, or possibly have active/passive switching?
    You can listen to the band I'm currently with a www.myspace.com/twinlights
    I need to know by tuesday!!!
    thanks,
    eric
    funkedupbass@hotmail.com

2. big evil robot

big evil robot Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    model j!

3. big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    after listening to the recordings.

1. how much growlier do you want to be? to my ears you already have a pretty killer tone.
    2. what kind of j-bass are you using?
    3. if by active do you mean pickups or just adding a pre-amp?

4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Indeed! I would kill to have a bass tone like that! ;)..... sounds tubeish to me :)! What bass and amp are you using?

Sorry to hijack the tread btw :D

5. I prbly should have mentioned that was the guitar player before I joined the band. I'll ask tonight and let you know.
    I would add an active/passive switching preamp.
    What about dumcan hotstacks as well to the list?
    thanks,
    Eric

6. big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    SD hotstacks are excellent as well, i'd put them right beside the model J's for tone. The hotstacks just cost almost double sometimes, but I think the humcancelling is better. I had them on a Squire P-J special and they were great.

7. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    +1 on the DiMarzios

8. I have the DP-123's on my jazz. They have a nice, growly tone when running in series, but whether series or parallel, the highs are never as crisp as stock.

I currently have a set of the new J-45's (with alnico 5's) on order, due to arrive in a week or two....

In my experience, the 123's are pretty quiet, but BL pups are quieter. I'll let you know how the J-45's work out.

9. So the guitar player says the bass was some generic ibanez bass direct in. Just one of those things I guess.
    SO I guess I narrowed it down to the barts, the j-45 and the Dimarzio model J's.
    Re~~~y curious about those J-45's and the model J's as well. Barts seem to be a good staple though.
    Anyone know how these sound with chords/fingerstyle/hum/buzz?
    Thanks for ~~~ the input.
    -eric
    funkedupbass@hotmail.com
    I also have a used pair of dimarzio ultra jazz's avail if anyone wants.

10. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Thanks!!! You have ruined my life! Now i can't blame either my Ibanez or my direct input for my tone! :spit:

:D

11. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I know it's past tuesday, but just to complicate things, I put the Seymour Antiquity IIs in my active American Jazz and I freakin' love them... All kinds of punch. I also use an overdrive pedel to put a little edge on things when necessary...

Jason

12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Another vote for the DiMarzio Model J. I've replaced the EMG- J set in my fretted Jazz bass with a set of DiMarzio Model J's. They're very meaty sounding and do a great job for rock.

13. big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    my model j's should be on the way soon. woo! :bassist: