Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best "J" Pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Z_Bass, May 17, 2003.

1. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    I'm looking into replacing my pickups, specifically J pickups (obviously :p). Which one do you think is best and why?
    I'm looking at pickups from Bartolini, DiMarzio, Fender Custon, Seymour Duncan, the usual stuff.

2. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    I vote for the fender 60's custom shop. I just put some in, and they were a mightly leap of improvement upon my stock USA Jazz Pickups. The response is great with these. Nice smooth low end that can get reallly deep and full. Mids and highs are just right IMO.

so IMHO, get the Fender Custom shop J's. (they even come with a ground shield plate that rests in the bottom of your pickup cavities.)

I also just put a set of "original '62" P-bass pickups in my 97' P-bass. This bass came with basslines pickups. Even with flatwounds, the basslines had no low end, were real bright and quiet. With the new fenders, awesome full rich sound was rolling all over the place.:)

3. I'd suggest you also look at Sadowsky pups. I have the single coils and they are fantastic.

Jeff

4. I just ordered my Genesis VJ with Villex Pups... I am anxious to hear what they sound like...