Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best jazz bass for less than $1000??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afroman, Dec 18, 2003.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm looking at buying a jazz bass in the next couple of months. I own a Stingray 5 and a lakland Skyline 55-01. What is the best "bang for the buck" jazz bass tonewise and qualitywise??

1. Fender Geddy Lee jazz bass ($630)
    2. Fender 60's classis jazz bass ($630)
    3. Fender am. standard jazz bass ($930)
    4. other

I'd like to purchase a new one, not used. I like the Geddy Lee's badass bridge, but dislike the limited color and fretboard option. The 60"s classis looks to be be a good bass, but haven't tried one (in fact I can only try the Am. Standar which I did and found good).

Is the Am. Standard $300 better than the others???
    Give me all your insight and opinions.

Thanks in advance...

2. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I don't really think that the standard jazz worth 300 bucks more than the other bass. If you have a 1000 $ for a VERY good bass, I'll say check out bargains for some used 60' or 70' jazz bass.

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I own a Ken Smith Design, pretty sweet bass :)

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound

5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i dont mean to make it more complicated, but in case you run across a used pedulla rapture j2, they're awesome for that vintage jazz tone.

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    you could probably grab a Skyline DJ or JO for under $1000. Definately worth a look

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I just got a beautiful MIA Fender jazz bass for $670.

8. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I own a geddy lee sig and I love it!!!

However I've see nthe DJ lakland and I have to say I am impressed especially for that price. I would love for a chance to play one!

9. Hajime

Hajime

Jan 18, 2003
    Tokyo
  10. well, i love the geddy lee sig myself, but the lakland DJ sig skylines are veeeery nice as well.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    IMO it is, easily.

Read pyrohr's post for why.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i would go with the ken smith

13. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    the roscoe beck 5 is the BEST passive 5'er i have EVER played!

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Where is the best place to find a Ken SMith for a good price? (under $1000)

15. appler

appler Guest

I don't know about the Geddy Lee, but I'd say that the American Standard is made a lot better than the Classic 60's. It's worth the $300 more.

16. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'd probably make myself a Warmoth.

Maple/Maple neck, stainless steel frets OR Maple/Ebony fretless.

Mary Kay translucent white on Ash body OR vintage sunburst on Alder.

Chrome hardware, Turtleshell pickguard.

AND : Nordstrand pickups, maybe an Aguilar preamp.

That's quite possibly the best Jazz bass you could get for under a grand.

Just be aware that resale value won't be as good as some other basses.

17. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    We aren't talking about USA hand-made Ken Smiths, talking bout the Ken Smith Design jazz basses (Made in Korea)

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ooo, i see.

19. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    definetly check out a modulus genesis jazz bass. I have played a few and they have all been super creamy. Like some people said earlier, the Skyline jazz basses are also very sweet.

20. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    If you're looking at Fender, you owe it to yourself to check out the Lakland Skyline series.

I played a new Fender last night for the first time since getting my Lakland Skyline Glaub. In my opinion, the Fender neck isn't even in the same league in terms of overall feel and fretwork. Of course "feel" is subjective, but the Lakland neck feels more solid and faster/smoother.

I looked at three Fenders last night, an MIA Jazz, MIA P, and the MIM 60s Jazz. I had seriously considered each of these exact basses at one point in time, but when I went back to them last night after my experience with the Lakland, they just felt inferior. The ends of the frets on the 60s Jazz were sharp- My Essex has better fretwork. The ends of the frets on the MIA P weren't sharp, but they weren't flush with the edge of the neck/fretboard. At that point, I wasn't really interested in giving the Jazz a chance (although it was quite a bit better) because I was pissed that $600+ and $875 basses would have these flaws.

I will never buy a Fender without playing and inspecting the actual instrument thoroughly- no online transactions. But I'd have no worries about ordering a Lakland sight unseen. Laklands are built to a higher standard, and on the off-chance you do have a problem, Lakland will insist on you sending the bass back to them for repair and they will probably even pay shipping both ways.