Best jazz bass period?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Hey guys, I really want a jazz bass. I mean, REALLY. Unfortunately, a decent sunburst Fernandes J Bass copy slipped my grips, so I'm once again looking for an awesome jazz bass.

So I'm wondering, from what you've played, what do you feel is the jazz bass? Geddy Lee Sig, G&L's take, or just the simple Fender Jazz?

Since there's been some trouble with this thread, lets stick to basses that have been made in the last 10 years (i.e. no 60's Fenders) and under $800. To clarify this under $800 was a part of an edit.

Thanks for the help and the current entries.
  2. Best Jazz bass period will not be one of the above mentioned. Maybe best jazz in the under $800.00 catagory but when you say period you open it up to some heavier weights. My Lull M5V is the best I've ever come across.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

4. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Well, when you say "best jazz bass period", that puts you into the realm of Roger Sadowsky if you have the coin or an L series Fender if you have even more coin.

Ultimately I think the best Jazz bass is a good Fender but finding one is hit or miss and you kind of have to ignore it's pedigree. You can find smokers at the bottom line and dogs at the top of the line.

For guaranteed satisfaction without all the looking...that's Sadowsky. Or Lull
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    An original early 60's stacked knob?

There is no period with this topic. Everyone's got a different answer to the 'ultimate'.

It'll only end up in tears.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Way too many to say. Once you're talking top of the line, there's no clear-cut winner... just a lot of great basses, each with their own personality.

Fender USA
    Mike Lull
    Lakland USA Joe Osborn

Some custom makers have started making Jazz-style basses too:

Benavente/Low End Jazz

...and there are probably several that I've totally omitted.
  7. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Alleva-Coppolo is in a league of it's own.
  8. You do mean L series by the first Letter in the serial number correct?
  9. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston

Corey, coming to the Lakland event in Allston (you know Allston, rock city....:eyebrow: )?

BTW Corey, any cool j basses or 5 strings in stock? Fretless?

10. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    My vote for best jazz is my Lakland USA fretless JO...
  11. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    It would really help if you let everyone know what your budget was for this bass.

For best jazz bass under 800 bucks my vote goes to the Geddy Lee jazz. In terms of value for money it is hard to beat.
  12. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    by asking a question like that, you just open up and endless pit of opinions. seriously.

everyone will have their opinions. it comes to just trying them out and seeing how you feel about it.
  13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    One I forgot, but the point stands... you'll never narrow this one down, except by your own tastes.
  14. Thanks for the entries so far. I understand that this isn't going to be the best bass for me, but it'll give me a place to look.
  15. You guys must have overlooked the fact that he said for UNDER $800.00...

Why mention instruments that exceed two grand?

You may wish to check Ebay for American Fender instruments.

In fact, this may be just what you are looking for: American Fender Jazz, Maple fretboard

Good luck!
  16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    The best Jazz Bass in the hands of a bad player sucks compared to an average Jazz Bass in the hands of a good player.

17. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    this applies to all instruments. i could pick up a 6 thousand dollar alembic, and victor wooten could pick up my 400 dollar ibanez. who 's gunna sound better?

you guessed it.

not i. :D
  18. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    And you probably missed that that criterion was an edit.

19. ?

And maybe it was not.
  20. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It was.