1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BEST JAZZ BASS REPLACEMENT P-UPS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JoeyBass, Apr 20, 2006.

1. :hyper: any idea?? i know basslines are good but i was just curious to know if any other pick ups were just as good or better

plz post back asap
    thanks

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    This question could be answered many ways... here are my thoughts

1. Aero type one- great jazz bass sound with growl and depth. My personal favorite. Sounds good for most styles of playing.

2. Dimarzio Ultra jazz- great tone, I don't have any, just have not had a reason to make the change

3. nordstrand. The single coils are probably one of the best. I'm thinking now about getting some this weekend

4.I also have a pair of Muy grande j bass pickups that have a nice "old school roundness" Great pickups that doesn't have a large consumer bass, but definitely worth hearing

I didn't mention that usual suspects like bartolini, fralin, and fender.

The real question is what kind of sound you are looking for. Each one does something different. All of the manufacturers have pickups voiced differently throughout their line.

Decide sonically what you are trying to accomplish and I think you can get the information you request

good luck

3. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Hey - I'd check out the "sticky" post above regarding J Bass pickups. Lots of good, in-depth information there. That thread had me trying out a set of SD Antiquity IIs and I love them...

4. SD Antiquity IIs
    Fralin's
    Nordstrand

Not necessarily in that order: BTW I use Fralin Splitcoils with a J-Retro.
    :bassist:

5. BStringJerry

BStringJerry

Aug 5, 2005
    Texas
    There's a set of SD Antiquity II's for $115 in the classified forum right now. And that's a very good price. I would have bought them, but I need them for a 5 string.

I have a set of Nordstrand's on one of my Jazz basses, and they give a really BIG vintage sound. As stated above, check out SMASH's sticky http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91384 for alot of good info.

6. heya,
    who make realy good bass pickups and what would you recomend for a 4 string bass 2 jazz bass style pickups realy clean and crisp with the idea of in the future putting in a p bass pickup in the middle to add in a deeper bass sound to switch between?