Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Jazz Bass tone for under $1000???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guitbass, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Guitbass

Guitbass Guest

Jan 22, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Curious as to what is recommended. I'm seeking a nice instrument with a punchy J tone.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. IMHO
    you can't go wrong with the original:
    a new Fender American Jazz bass is around 1 grand

Glenn

3. What he said. :)

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I'll give this a redundant third. As a second option some of the Schector jazz style basses sound really good as well.

Dan :bassist:

5. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    I'll 4th that....

......If a newie is out of your price range though, have a look on ebay, you should be able to pick one up cheap.

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I'll go with the crowd on the American jazz bass... however, most of the Lakland Skyline JO basses are under a grand and will line up very well with the MIA J basses...

P@

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    One of the nicest JBasses I have come across in a while is the new ESP(yes esp)LTD Delux Jazz it's a modern JBass to be taken seriously very versitale and funky if thats what your looking for.I would say that it could give some of the more exspensive JBasses a run for their money and I have played my share.everything on it is all quality parts from proven co.'s.it was reviewed in the July 03 issue of BP(with Hub from the Roots on the cover).I checked it out at the Summer Namm show there's a 5 string version as well, and gave it a lot of thought and considiration.Im waiting on mine now

8. Make a Jazz out of Warmoth parts. built right will smoke anything for a grand.

9. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I located a new USA Fender Jazz Standard:
    Rosewood board, light ash body, 2-tone burst for $799.00

10. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    A Warmoth with EMG-JV pickups and no pre amp. That's where it's at!

--Matthew

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Best Jazz bass tone under 1k is a MIA jazz. I bought my nos natural ash bodied maple neck MIA standard jazz for 799.00 w/case. All it needed was my hands to play it! This finish was also discontinued in 2000 for MIA basses. The bass shown came with a white pickguard and has the white pickguard on it now.

12. I've said it before and I'll say it again..
    Reverend Rumblefish! :bassist:

13. I would say an Essex jazz bass, with a J-retro pre-amp, with a set of bartolini pickups.

14. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    For that money you can get the real deal. Buy the sound that you want!

15. Nice!! :)

Another possible 'jazz sounding' bass you may consider is Sadowsky.

How much is a used Sadowsky going for these days?

16. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    check out a peavey millenium. you can dial in a very jazzy tone. very snappy and tons of low end.

17. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    My goodness how about just the real deal a Fender American Jazz? You pretty much answered your own question when you asked it.

18. I'd go with a MIA J-bass and swap out the pickups with some SD anitquities or dimarzion ultra jazz.

or a Laklay Skyline JO, I really like the pickups in those.

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Lakland Joe Osborne or Lakland Daryl Jones.

20. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Either get a MIA standard, used. Then upgrade with Custom Pups/Pre amp, Bridge, Neck (if you dont like the Fender necks, cuz I dont). Or just get a used MIA Deluxe on ebay...